1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock on Mariotti on Page 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lacy underall, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Since nobody else has said this yet...

Thanks for checking in Jay.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

TOM! How are ya buddy? I was wondering where you've been. Life hasn't been the same without your amazing wit and candor to my posts. Have a good 4th, OK!

;D

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tom,

You obviously don't have a future in writing glowing dust jacket blurbs.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well damn it tony, thank you. hope you had a wondeful fourth as well.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Do anything fun? Blow some shit up, or eat good food and drink heavily?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ace  - your hippocrate response is money enough for me to bow to you even on this thread. god bless you and your wit ace ... really ... i even pulled my wife aside to show her that one.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tony, yes, yes and yes.

hope you were three for three as well.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Mariotti has suffered some of the most humiliating things you'll ever hear of in a professional sports locker room.
    He's been an arrogant, unlikeable lout since his college days at Ohio University, and he's brought a ton of this on himself.
    Unfortunately, doing what he does, he simply confirms the opinion many have of the columnist as a fat, lazy, shout-with-the-crowd blowhard who is uninformed and unwilling to do the legwork to become informed.
    The reason his column reads like a flavor-of-the-month diatribe is because that's exactly what it is. So is JW's piece here. If Jay would put the time in to do his homework instead of rip at the slightest slight, his talent could really shine. As it is, his style makes it hard for him to be respected by those in or out of the business.
    However, don't look for that to happen. He can't get out of the way of his own ego. It will be his downfall in the end. And that end may not be that far away.

9. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

again, i know that you guys all have your opinions of jay mariotti. personally -- ive never met the man, seen the man, nor do i know his work ethic. so the only way i can judge him is by his writing.

let me just say this. i absolutely love his writing style and i think he's thoroughly entertaining (probably because im a cubs fan and it's nice to see somebody bash them lol) ... so what if it reads differently. i dont know, i guess i've just never started a mariotti column without finishing. that cant be said for everybody else i've read.

don't bother responding to "how big of a moron i am." its just MY OPINION.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Your opinion sucks.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is it about his style of writing (beyond Cubs ripping) that entertains you?

12. greenie

greenie Member

Mariotti is a mediocre writer, in my opinion. I only read him every once in a while, but I usually skim when I do. I find his writing clunky. Sorry, not a fan of 150-word paragraphs.

Draft saved Draft deleted