1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE at the Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From the little birdie whisperin in my ear hotline:

Jon Clifford, of the L.A. Daily News, is taking over as SE (day-to-day) opperations at the Salt Lake Tribune. He's replacing Ron Gullberg who was formerly at Casper, Wyo., and at the SLT for a short stint.

Michael Anastazi is still the AME over sports with Clifford his new right-hand man.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I had heard that this was a possibility. If true, Jon is well qualified for the post and he'll do great in SLC. Best of luck to him.

3. JB20

JB20 Member

Where is Ron Gullberg headed? Great guy.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Gullberg quit a couple of months ago and returned to Wyoming.

5. anistasi also came from the daily news, as did one of their reporters, lauren gustus. who's running that show now?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was Jon. They opened the position the last time it came open (last July) before promoting Jon.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why is Clifford leaving the Daily News after just a year in the top chair? Anyone? Bueller?

8. goinbacktocali

goinbacktocali New Member

Could be diminishing staff and resources, but that describes 95 percent of the business. ... Cost of living was the ultimate culprit.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Jon, an awesome guy.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Jon is a good guy. I only spoke with him a couple times, but I had good feelings.

I wouldn't presume to speak for him, but in addition to the cost of living, the position of the Salt Lake paper would be better than the situation he has in LA. The Daily News has about a quarter of the circulation of the LA Times and there are no resources to compete on anything resembling a level playing field. I would think that would be quite frustrating.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

True, Gold, but it's not quite like it was 10 years ago. At least the Daily News can raid other papers in the Singleton family -- San Gabriel, San Bernardino, Long Beach, etc. -- and come off as "bigger" than they are. Still, the Daily News/Singleton never will get on par with the Times. At least in Salt Lake, you can compete and actually win. Hard to do that in Southern California at the Daily News.

Draft saved Draft deleted