1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter, Savannah, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The Savannah Morning News is looking for a high school sports reporter. We are a 50,000-plus circulation daily that covers 45-plus high schools and we want an organized and extensive approach to prep sports. We want the story -- and the story behind the story. We need someone who loves local sports and loves to write even more. Send resumes and clips to Anthony Stastny, P.O. Box 1088, Savannah, GA 31402 or Anthony.stastny@savannahnow.com.

2. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I know they already have someone very good on the short list for this gig.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

At least one designer there is pretty top-notch, so your stuff with have some visual kick w/ it.

4. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

Miles or Anyone else, any hints on who might be on the shortlist?

Any info on the newspaper, area, expected pay?

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't know about the names on the short list, but here goes ...

It's a Morris paper with a solid sports staff but a somewhat eroding market and pretty small newshole for a paper of that size. They're pouring a lot of money into Bluffton Today, their experimental, free-circulation tabloid across the river in South Carolina.

But this position is open because the previous preps writer is moving over to news to head a county bureau that's reopening, which could mean they're ready to sink their teeth back into the growing market south of Savannah. In addition to preps, you'll definitely get the chance to cover the Verizon Heritage on Hilton Head and the Legends of Golf in Savannah.

The area is pretty nice. You have Hilton Head 30 minutes to the north, Jacksonville 90 minutes to the south, and historic Savannah is fabulous. South Savannah is nothing special, but it's where you'll want to live if you want to have any money left over to eat on a regular basis. And there's lots of good eating, including Paula Deen's restaurant, where cholesterol is always a key ingredient.

As far as pay, I can only guess, but my guess would be around $30K, give or take a couple thousand. Again, though, that's purely a guess.

Oh, yeah, and one major plus for Savannah: You can have open containers out on the street, so long as they're plastic and 16 ounces or smaller. St. Patty's Day on River Street, good times.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

savannah is one of the best cities in america

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donald Heath, who was the preps writer before the guy now vacating, got promoted to the Georgia Southern beat, proving there is life beyond preps. Doesn't hurt that he's good people.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Savannah is THEE most beautiful city in America. There will be NO argument about this.

Oh, and Hoops, I was in Athens on Monday. Lunch at the Grill, a frosted orange from the V to beat the heat, and eye candy around campus galore. But boy, how that school (and that town) has changed. Barely recognized many parts of both.

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

And it's really changed within the past three years. Those damn condominiums downtown. No Blue Sky. Still love the place, though.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was heartbroken at no Blue Sky. Didn't know that was gone til I went back.

But Athens is (and always will be) among my can't-miss towns if I'm within driving distance of the place.

11. Big Mac

Big Mac Member

Savannah is a poor man's Charleston, S.C. Which doesn't mean Savannah isn't great, but Charleston is better.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

That's the best way you can describe it. Savannah doesn't have what Charleston has in regard to sports, culture, restaurants, etc... But it's a good town. I live in Charleston, and I visit Savannah. But I'd wouldn't do the opposite.

Posted edited because I'm drunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted