1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STATS INC.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The_Plan, Jul 1, 2006.

1. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any insight on STATS Inc., and if working for them is a good gig or not.

I inquired with them through their website, and they sent me a personal information form, along with a consent sheet (looked similar to a housing lease) ...

Anyways, they pay anywhere between $35-65 per game that you cover ... and the job description is as follows:

1. Choose a sport in which you want to log game stats for. Lets just say basketball for now.
    2. Log all of the essential stats for the game (minutes, field goals, free throws, shot percentage, foul shots, etc.)
    3. Submit all of the information within 48 hours in the format that they'd like it.

They say it generally takes about 3-4 hours to get all of the information in order. They also say that $10 bonuses are awarded if results are exceptional and accurate.

Honestly, I'm not really doing this for the money, so save the comments about "wow, what a waste" LOL

But I figure, I watch so many sports on an everyday basis, and I'm very good with numbers and statistical analysis, that this might be a fun way to really keep up-to-date on the games while making some cash on the side.

Anyways -- have any of you ever dealt with STATS Inc., have any opinions of them (of relevance) or know of anybody who has done anything for them?

Thats all. Thanks in advance. Please, just serious replies.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've done STATS since they bought out Mega.

Easy money. I can't imagine it being worth the trip, though, if that was the only gig for a particular game.

3. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me any detailed information? What is required, how often is work "typically" available, etc.?

I appreciate it. Take care.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I did this before I got into sports writing. Did it for the nearby football team. STATS sent me a computer file to run on an application they created that had the basic play-by-play information. Then, I'd watch a tape of the game and fill in more detailed information about each play (formation, first contract by defender, throw from in/out of pocket, missed tackles, categorized incompletions, who got beat for a sack). When complete, I'd send the updated file back to STATS. It took a healthy amount of time to get through each play. I wouldn't say I gained any particular insight on the game doing it, because you get sucked into minutiae that you don't necessarily put it all together.

5. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

what team, and any idea if their computer file runs on a Mac?

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I hope there's no business writing, because isn't it Stats LLC now?

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I did NHL, NBA and WNBA games. Essentially, all I did was call in the lineups and officials pregame. During the game I'd call in time updates, then post-game top scorers. Hockey, I'd also call in any scoring and the box between periods. Make sure they get the official box faxed/e-mailed, too. Really, there was nothing to it -- no writing or even plugging in quotes.

My guess is they have a guy in every major league city. Can you find out who it is in yours?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

It is...but 99% of us who use it still call them Inc.

They supply my data download and research and in-game data for baseball. All they have to do is get their databases up to Elias speed to be a complete source.
    They have a couple programmers (the one who takes care of us TV pukes is a genius) and research folks I've become good friends with and I am very happy with them.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Did it for Saints games for part of a season. Still watched the games as they happened, but you need the tape to get all the info they were looking for. I had a PC, so I don't know about the Mac for sure, but I'd be stunned if they didn't have a Mac version. Of course now you can just run it on a Intel Mac.

Draft saved Draft deleted