1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local sports writer, Times-Herald (Vallejo, Calif.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 2, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=644748

Company: Times-Herald
    Position:
    Local Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 7, 2006
    Job ID: 644748

Description:
    The Times-Herald is seeking a full-time sports writer. Writers on our four-person sports staff cover sports at levels from youth to major professional teams, including the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's. The position also requires performing page layout, the willingness to work hard, and the ability to get along with co-workers and members of the community. Proficiency in QuarkXPress and NewsEditPro a must. A familiarity with the Bay Area is preferred, but not required. Resumes and clips should be sent to:
    Ken Hart, Sports Editor 440 Curtola Parkway Vallejo, CA, 94590 kenh@thnewsnet.com NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE.

2. Living on 25-30K in Vallejo or anywhere in the Bay Area is very interesting.
    Ad should read: Must enjoy having roommates OR Must have sugarmama.

3. enigami

enigami Member

A second position opened up here, and they need resumés, people, resumés!

A quick plug:
    - You're hard-pressed to find another first or second job with an opportunity to cover major pro teams (A's, Giants, Kings, Warriors, Raiders, 49ers) regularly.
    - Recent graduates have landed gigs at the North County Times, Bakersfield Californian, San Bernardino Sun and Oakland Tribune.
    - It's the Bay Area.
    - If you're young and you have ideas, they can and will be implemented.

Admittedly, the cost of living sucks. Count on a roommate and/or part-time job. Ask me questions.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn, count on a roommate and/or a part-time job?!?!?! Why not just say 'go back to school and get a Masters.' You'll keep the college environment and make more money at the end of your two-year stint.

5. Cal E. Fornia

Cal E. Fornia New Member

Are you serious?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Cal E. Fornia/
    Knows how to party

7. Cal E. Fornia

Cal E. Fornia New Member

We keep it rockin'.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

or a sugardaddy. . . we're not all men here, ya know :-*

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

true, but you know a white guy will probably get the job (asshole/sarcasm font)

10. enigami

enigami Member

There hasn't been a lot of turnover on the sports desk here. Of the four writers to occupy the three chairs in the last three years, one lived with his folks, another had a part-time job, another had a roommate ... meanwhile, the fourth enjoyed none of these financial luxuries and quit after a year and a half. It's a Singleton paper ... just being real. Nonetheless, very little turnover because it's an enjoyable job working for good people.

11. Okay, a question: After doing a quick look at the articles that have run the past few days on the web site, I was wondering if anybody in the know could give a ballpark idea of how often writers get to cover the pro teams. I understand that a paper this size probably isn't going to travel (at least not to very many far away games,) but, at least in the past few days, I haven't seen so many staff generated reports on the pro teams in the market. I've seen a lot of AP and a lot of stuff from the Oakland Tribune. I don't know if that's because they're now two people down or if that's how it normally is. I'm not trying to rip the place, but I think it's a fair question to ask since they make a point of advertising that staffers get to cover the A's, Giants, 49ers and Raiders.

12. enigami

enigami Member

It's because we're down two people. Good question, though.
    In a normal summer, we'll send one of the writers out at least once during an A's or Giants homestand. In fall, staff writers cover Raiders and 49ers training camps, then usually at least half of each team's home games. Basketball season overlaps significantly with preps, but it's not unreasonable to expect one Kings or Warriors game. And we typically divvy up the assignments so everyone gets a taste of the different teams at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted