1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Richmond has a fairly new EE, one who doesn't know all of the people on the sports staff who worked under Jack. I think that's part of the reason why the job hasn't been filled. And on the topic of the female ASE, I haven't heard her name mentioned in reference to this job.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

That new EE at Richmond came from Newark and supposedly has someone from Newark in mind as one of his leading candidates, someone who reportedly already has paid a visit to Richmond.

3. boots

boots New Member

What difference does it make if she is a woman? If they feel she is qualified, she'll get the gig. As for the person who came and interviewed, I'd be very surprised for many reaasons if he gets the gig or accepts it.

4. henrygale

henrygale New Member

As the Mercury-News pointed out recently, there aren't a lot of female sports editors at big papers. San Jose wasted no time promoting a woman when it had the opportunity, and wasted even less time patting itself on the back for doing so.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm a strong proponent of diversity in the workplace and wish we had more of it in my department.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From the Little Birdie News Service:

Fourteen candidates, allegedly. No word on how many are inside and how many are outside. At least one of the top inside candidates chose not to apply. They hope to have someone named by the end of July. Kevin Manahan of Newark has been in to visit already, unknown if others have been in yet.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Idaho, LBNS is missing a dateline on your wire brief.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Have their people contact my people and we'll negotiate a settlement

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A lot of times, newspaper HR departments require that a job be posted for so long before they can make a hire.

9. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

Fourteen candidates? That seems like a large pool. I can't imagine they'd bring all in 14. Have they been contacted yet? And no, I'm not a candidate, just curious.

10. nebraska_rules

nebraska_rules New Member

I think my former editor from the midwest applied for this one. Any news here?

11. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

SE from my turf, So. Calif., also applied.

12. Keystone

Keystone Member

As a former employee of Media General's community papers, I always thought the big boys of the chain didn't have as much corporate BS. Guess I was wrong.

http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=12621

Draft saved Draft deleted