1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heyman to leave Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cubreporter718, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Heard this weekend that Jon Heyman is going to be leaving Newsday for SI.com.

What do you guys think? Not sure if many of you read Newsday on a regular basis, but I think he's one of the best in the business.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Even if half of what he writes is inaccurate

3. LemMan

LemMan Member

Being a native Long Islander now living in Florida, I read Newsday every day online. I like Heyman. I may not agree with everything he says, and his writing comes off a tad arrogant sometimes. But long before BALCO, he was the first one to point on Jason Giambi's sudden weight loss, and whether I agree with him or not, he's good at making a point and getting it across.

Wonder who'll fill his shoes.

Not to thread-jack, but Newsday has plenty of good columnists - Wallace Matthews, Mark Hermann, Shawn Powell, Barbara Barker, etc. I'm curious who'll they'll fill Heyman with.

4. LemMan

LemMan Member

spnited...what has Heyman been inaccurate with?

I'm not asking in a rude tone. Just pure curiosity...

5. I think Powell would be the guy. I could see Chuck Culpepper getting consideration, too.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let's just say he wrote a lot single, anonymous source baseball rumors under the guise of "Newsday has learned." He had some long stretches where about 50% of the shit stuck to the wall.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Are you saying, spnited, that this isn't quite like Damon Runyan or Paul Gallico leaving their papers back in the day? 8)

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And another fucking asshole chimes in.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chuck is long gone...to England, I believe. There is some talk of him doing some freelance college football work come fall, but he's not a full-timer. Too bad, because his stuff was consistently outstanding. If everyone wrote as passionately as Chuck and treated everyone as well as he does, SportsJournalists.com wouldn't exist.

10. I'm sorry to hear that, I really enjoyed his stuff.

11. LemMan

LemMan Member

I was never a huge Culpepper fan. Never met him, so I'm speaking of him, personally. But what little I read of him, I wasn't quite fond of.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

For those who love reading Chuck, he's writing a World Cup blog for the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-england24jun24,0,3435434.story

And yes, he's moved to London permanently.

Draft saved Draft deleted