1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time applying for SE job, advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jimi41, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Through an Interpretative dance

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've got an interview in two hours for an SE job of my own. At my current paper, I've moved up to the SE spot after being hired as a reporter.

My biggest concern is that I've heard from a couple people the ME is tough to work with. Problem is, I can't see anyone being worse than my current ME, a dickwad who has a background in internet technology, not newspapers (though admittedly he leaves me alone, something this guy apparently doesn't).

How could I figure out in a 30-minute telephone interview whether I'd be able to work with him? Any questions that might lead me towards answering that question?

3. Cal E. Fornia

Cal E. Fornia New Member

For you guys trying to become sports editors, I have one word for you: Organization.

Stress that from start to finish and wait for the job offer. Worked for me.

Good luck.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Never been an editor. As a worker, can only say this. If you know what you want, and can communicate that both up and down the ladder, you have the first and most important ingredient of the job down pat.

5. House

House Guest

When my former SE left a while back, the ME whispered in my ear that if I can keep things afloat, he might consider me.

First of all, know that your ME is full of shit by default. Managment will tell you anything. In my case, it was blabbed that I was looking for another job, so this was a lie to keep me from leaving (nothing came of the search anyway). He also did this to the other writer.

How did I know it was bullshit? I hadn't even been a writer for a year at that point. I wouldn't have the first clue how to run a section.

He also made it blunt that he didn't care about the opinions of what our section should be. He wanted monkeys to put out the sports section he wanted. Our current editor is an editor in name only. He has no time for story-planning, editing, administrative work or writing because he absorbed the designer duties.

Also, I am at a under-25K paper. You will not receive more money to hire more help. From last year, we shrunk from an editor, two writers, one designer/writer, two part-timers, two correspondents and some old woman who plagerizes from bowling magzines writes bolwing columns to an editor, two writers, one correspondent and some old woman who plagerizes from bowling magzines writes bolwing columns.

So I guess it depends on your ME.

Draft saved Draft deleted