1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen says nothing we haven't said among ourselves here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

From Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley's piece today:

"Jay's a piece of s---,'' Guillen said Wednesday. ''If he wants to know, he should be talking to me here right now. If he were a man, he'd be here with you guys right now.

''Why he's so afraid to show up to the ballpark? When you're afraid to do something, you feel guilty about something, then tell him we'll pay his cab. Tell him to tell us where he lives, and we'll bring him to the ballpark and we'll have a conversation. But that's the way he is. He's garbage, still garbage, going to die as garbage. Period.''

While Guillen didn't necessarily agree with Couch's column on the incident, he stressed that Couch at least interviewed him.

''I shook his hand,'' Guillen said. "I told him I didn't mean to say [that term]. He said he was going to write it down. At least he showed up and talked to us.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-spt-ozzie22.html

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I agree. We've said it on two different threads, in fact.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

This is today's news. Someone can merge it if they want.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I get your point, but:

1. No one here, to my knowledge, has ever used such a strong epithet about Mariotti or anyone else without getting seriously rebuked or having their post removed.

2. It's not news if an anonymous poster writes that Mariotti is a douchebag. It is news when the manager of a team Mariotti writes about (even if he doesn't attend games) calls him out.

EDIT: Thanks P.

5. 85bears

85bears Member

I guess my point was the stuff about not going into the clubhouse. What I was trying to point out was that players and managers definitely notice that stuff. Note that Greg Couch, who ripped him hard, still has Guillen's respect.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Fixed.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I found it humourous yet fitting that on foxsports.com the current baseball headlines list Guillen's apology, followed close behind by an account of two home runs by Oakland's Nick Swisher. ;D

•  Guillen apologizes for using homosexual slur | Sox win
    •  Feds want BALCO writers to name leak sources
    •  Mets' Reyes hits for rare cycle in loss against Reds
    •  Swisher's two homers put A's back on track | VIDEO

8. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Marriotti's rebuttal to that point:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay22.html

Guillen's beef with me involves his belief that if I criticize him, I should rush down to the ballpark immediately and let him litter me with insults. If that sounds like high-school macho nonsense, realize it's the general mentality of baseball clubhouses. Imagine a critic panning a movie, then being required to take a tongue-lashing the next day from an angry Vince Vaughn. Imagine a restaurant critic not liking an Italian joint, then having to show up so the chef can throw meatballs at him. Sorry, guy, I'm not a beat writer who covers the team every day. Tuesday night, I was at Game 6 of the NBA Finals, where I should have been. Next week, I'll be at the NBA draft. Next month, I'll be at the British Open.

If Ozzie has a problem with my schedule, he should behave better so I don't have to write about him.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought that was a even handed column. Guillen comes off as a complete idiot.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you rip someone and you have the chance to be there the next day or two to take the heat, you should. Of course, that's only if you care about being respected.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Calling him a piece of shit isn't the issue, is it?

12. Wow. Sorry if this is late. Just read Mariotti's column...

i have no personal problem with mariotti. i've enjoyed working with him on tv. strikes me as a decent person.

howevah, i cannot in any way agree that it's okay for a columnist to avoid a clubhouse or locker room for years when that columnist is ripping the home team. nothing justifies that. nothing. you can't work your corners from the press box. we all get threatened. it's like an inside pitch. it goes with the job of being a home run hitter. i was embarrassed reading mariotti's explanation for avoiding the white sox's clubhouse. write feature columns if you fear the inside pitch. one of the things that adds prestige to being a newspaper writer/columnist is the fact that we show up and take the bullets. it's why athletes, coaches, executives and fans used to give us more respect than the rest of the media. i'm not trying to offend other media members or jay.

obviously ozzie shouldn't have used the f word.

Draft saved Draft deleted