1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by benjones, Jun 7, 2006.

1. benjones

benjones New Member

The Rocky Mount Telegram, an award-winning Eastern North Carolina daily, seeks a sports writer to cover high school, ACC events and minor league baseball. Layout experience a plus. Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, plus writing experience for other publications.

We offer competitive salary and benefits in a new office building. Cox Newspapers Inc. has a solid reputation for quality journalism and developing young talent. Come join an energetic, ambitious staff that puts an emphasis on good work while having fun.

Send five to eight writing clips demonstrating a wide variety of skills, two design clips, resume, cover letter and references to:

Ben Jones
    Sports Editor
    Rocky Mount Telegram
    P.O. Box 1080
    Rocky Mount, NC 27802

2. JME

JME Member

Ben

Any inkling what the ration between Acc/HS/Minor Leagues and layout would be?

3. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Who left!? :eek:

4. benjones

benjones New Member

There are four in the department, so we rotate who works desk. I work desk four to five days a week. The three writers are in here between two and four nights a week, depending on what's going on any given day. Some of those shifts are split with a writing assignment.

So the short version is, plan on 45 percent preps, 20 percent ACC, 25 percent layout, 10 percent misc. writing.

We staff probably 90 percent of N.C. State, Duke and North Carolina home basketball and football games. We've had someone at the majority of Carolina Hurricanes games this year, including the finals, as well. We'll hit at least one Carolina Mudcats game per home series.

Clay Harris is leaving to pursue opportunities in a different field.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. JME

JME Member

SO there are no beats, per se? Thanks for the info. :)

6. benjones

benjones New Member

No beats, in the traditional sense. We want to give equal opportunity to the entire department.

This is a place to develop and show off skills in a variety of areas.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Good gig if you can deal with the "layout guy" and the guys at the paper down south. ;)
    I'm kidding man, can't wait to hear about the new guy, cause I likely won't be meeting anyone. ;D ;D

8. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

That's a terrific setup, Ben. I wish more editors thought that way.

9. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Ben,

Pretty sure I have no shot at this gig because I don't have enough experience, but might apply for kicks anyways. Would the layout experience be in InDesign or Quark?

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Not a member of the Telegram staff, but someone who has deals with the paper. The Telegram is a paper that develops talent, even those right out of college. If you have the skills, you are going to get the next step with this paper.

There you go guys, don't say I never did anything for you. ;D

11. This all sounds pretty good so far. What is the circulation?

12. benjones

benjones New Member

Right now we use DT (Digital Technology) only, but we are upgrading to InDesign with DT 6.0 in August.

Our circulation is 15k. We aim to compete with any other paper in our area -- regardless of size.

Draft saved Draft deleted