1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor/Page Designer (Westminster, Md.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baltimore Sports Guy, May 4, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I once did an API turn with a guy from this paper. It was a while back, but I was impressed by what we saw in critiques.

2. Just imagine that you're a college football coach with back-to-back 4-7 seasons. The boosters are calling for your head. Your travel budget is low, but you still have 3 or 4 more scholarships to give. So, you only have time and money to visit a handful of places. Would you really go to Maryland looking for that top stud to save your program and your job? Or do you spend your time mining VA, PA, NC?

As far as this job goes, how are they handeling the duties while the job search is still under way?

3. JME

JME Member

I don't think anyone has ever considered MD to be the type of FB breeding ground that PA and VA are; it's more of a hoops state ... although its become a FB recruiting hotbed the past few years as well.

Of course, I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a copy editing job in Westminster.

4. Perhaps basketball. Maybe.
    I was wondering how they're taking care of business (especially with the SE on vactaion) without a copy editor. I was wondering, if they are stretched thin, if the Times will make a pick as soon as the SE gets back or will this linger?

5. Anybody know what happened to they guy who left this job?

6. The guy that left went to Scranton (Pa.).

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He should have stopped in for lunch on his way through. ;D

8. He was probably in too much of a hurry. Running as fast as he could from having to design lacrosse pages!

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's a lot worse things than designing lacrosse pages. Trust me.

10. Terror82

Terror82 Member

Did he take a position with the Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company?

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Office/Dunder_Mifflin/

11. Any updates on this, the Greensboro or Tenn jobs?
    With these and that Charlotte gig, it seems like a good time to be a designer/copy editor.

12. Curious about this job, too. Like the RMT, the CCT (which apparently doesn't have an O's opening) has a darn good rep for being a spring board. The last guy jumped to scranton, which isn't Paris, but it isn't a bad spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted