1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor/Page Designer (Westminster, Md.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baltimore Sports Guy, May 4, 2006.

1. JME

JME Member

I don't know about that.

Maryland produces a lot of athletes for a small state. Past 10 yrs or so: Rudy Gay, Carmelo Anthony, Shawne Merriman, Steve Francis, Julian Peterson, Derrick Williams, Kevin Durant, Tywon Lawson, Michael Sweetney, Eddie Basden, Juan Dixon and many others -- thats just off the top of my head.

2. You left out some of the bigger names just from Carroll County: Josh Boone, Marshall Strickland, Steve Sutter.

As the former college writer, I had a database of more than 200 high school players that had gone on to play at college. Sure not all were big time, but that's still pretty impressive.

3. JME

JME Member

True, there are tons of guys like that, I was just naming some of the bigger names.

4. Yeah, but that's my point. Steve who? I'm not talking guys who managed to make it to a D-IAA or D-I school. I'm talking big-time guys. Penn has produced too many big-time guys to count, but I'll go with Marino. VA has Lawerence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Mike Vick or Iverson. NC has Jordan (the ultimate bragging right). Now, in this line of states, only Maryland doesn't have that BIG-TIME GUY to wear on its shoulder. I mean, Josh Boone???!!!!! Let's wait and see what happens with him. Who would be Maryland's athletic poster-child? Juan Dixon? Leslie Shepard? Kevin Glover? I guess Carmello, but man, he's kinda new. I guess they can claim Babe Ruth, but that's so long ago it shouldnt.

Maybe if Lacrosse or field hockey become major pro sports, Maryland can represent.

5. JME

JME Member

I'd say Steve Francis, Mark Teixeira, Rudy Gay, Brian Westbrook, Carmelo Anthony, Julian Peterson, Shawne Merriman, Juan Dixon, Lamont Jordan, Derrick Williams are some pretty big names.

6. blueview

blueview Member

Any update on this one?

7. Resumes are still coming in. If you are interested I would suggest getting something in ASAP. I know the SE is going to want to move as quickly as possible.

8. You guys keep proving my point.
    Besides Anthony and Westbrook (who, I think is from DC, but went to high school in MD), those are a bunch of good players. No Hall of Famers in that bunch.
    But let me say, I'm not saying this isn't a great job (if I could do more than spell the word design, it's something I would have loved to have gotten) - in fact it is. But if they started a pro surfing league in Brooklyn, the NY Daily News would assign a beat writer. Now, the surfers in New York probably don't rate with the west coast or FL guys, but covering the Brooklyn Surf League for the Daily News is a job I'd love to have.
    Same for this gig. Great job, I just think Maryland preps don't compare with other states in the region. Maryland is more like New Hampshire or Vermont as far as athlete production.

9. A brief update, the SE is going on vacation next week but is planing to schedule interviews for the week he returns.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think New Hampshire or Vermont would ever have beaten Pennsylvania in the Big 33 Football Classic.

11. JME

JME Member

What in the world are you talking about?

There may be no hall of famers on that list I gave you, but there are a lot of legit stars by any measure. And Maryland has produced about 10 NBA players in the past 5 or 6 years who I didn't even list. Who are the equivalent athletes from Vermont and New Hampshire?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And since when does lacrosse keep schools from producing good athletes in other sports? Southeastern Virginia has an outsize wrestling presence, but that doesn't keep it from producing Alonzo Mourning, Bruce Smith, Joe Smith, Justin Upton, Deangelo Hall and Percy Harvin, among others.

EDIT: And that's south of the James. North of it, add Allen Iverson, Michael Vick and Lawrence Taylor to the mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted