1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, May 18, 2006.

1. Andy Johnston

Andy Johnston New Member

Girls and guys, this will be hitting the job boards, but here's a sneak peek.

The Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald seeks an energetic full-time general assignment sports reporter to join its award-winning staff.

In this position, you'll see it all as the post covers local sports, preps and various sports at the University of Georgia. The position also has desk responsibilities, so Quark proficiency is a plus.

Experienced candidates are preferred, but recent graduates are encouraged to apply.

The Athens Banner-Herald is a Morris Communications-owned 32,000 daily newspaper in Athens, Ga., home of one of the greatest live music scenes in the country.

Send your resume, six writing clips and two design clips to Andy Johnston, Sports Editor, Athens Banner-Herald, One Press Place, Athens, Ga., 30601. E-mail: andy.johnston@onlineathens.com. No phone calls.

No resumes will be accepted after June 7, 2006.

I'll add a few more details to the company ad.

One of our writers recently was hired by Spartanburg, which should close that thread. I stress that this position has desk responsibilities,so it's important to have Quark and Photoshop experience. However, this position also has excellent writing opportunities, including various sports at the University of Georgia.

Our section was top 10 in both special and sunday sections at APSE and honorable mention in daily this past year, but we're always looking to improve in all areas.

If you have any questions, e-mail me, but like the ad says, no calls. I'll take resumes and clips by snail mail, e-mail, any manner of delivery. I've found that pdfs work great for design clips attached to e-mails.

2. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Interesting.

What's the staff size here? How far from Atlanta and any other info...

3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

Nothing on the Spartanburg thread yet; anyone know who's leaving Athens for Spartanburg?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Andy's good people. Worked with the AB-H guys plenty of times at my old shop.

Recommend this place to just about anyone who is good and wants to get better. And Athens is a helluva town if you're anywhere from 18-35 and like to hit the town. Bars are top-notch, music's great, food's very good. Cheap place to live, too.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

best town in america

6. Yankee

Yankee Member

By the looks of it, the women's basketball beat writer in Athens got the gig in Sparkle City. I know he was a finalist.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You're biased, though...

Athens is about 40 or so minutes away from Atlanta (depending on speed and traffic). Of course, 15 mins from Tahoe.

The staff over there are good people for the most part. Didn't have to deal with them too much with Kendall in Athens for us, but they're OK.

Morris owned paper, and smaller (about 40,000 circ), but one of the best in the state.

8. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

obligatory ACCESS ABC numbers:
    Circulation averages for the six months ended:
    3/31/2006

BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) SAT M DLY 27,375
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) THU M DLY 27,387
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) TUE M DLY 27,681
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 28,572
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) MON M DLY 28,688
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) WED M DLY 28,702
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) FRI M DLY 30,491
    BANNER-HERALD, ATHENS (CLARKE CO.) SUN DLY 31,159

9. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I've dealt with the ABH a few times and they have always been helpful. Great town to live and play in. You can get to the ATL in about an hour.

10. One of the best in the state? Let's not get carried away, now.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'll second the Andy is good people, and they love to take chances. Their designer, Nick (?) has some cool stuff on NPD, and they obviously cover the hell out of UGA, including gymnastics, which is huge there.

The prep scene there is good too, and if you're asking how far away Atlanta is for nightlife (not saying anyone was), you ain't doing Athens right.

And I believe it's still ranked the No. 1 place for a bachelor in the United States. Sometimes I kick myself for turning down a job there. Others I don't, but it would be definitely cool to live there for a while.

Get to it.

12. Monkey

Monkey Member

Regarding cost of living, it is very reasonable, but will likely see a huge increase in the not-so-distant future. They are constructing a commuter railway between Athens and Atlanta, to be ready I think in 07 or 08. That will greatly increase accessibility to Atlanta (no traffic to fight) and will make Athens a very attractive alternative to people working in Atlanta, but not wanting to live in its insanely expensive urban and greater suburban core.

In short, if you land this job, buy property. By the time you're done with the gig, it'll be worth twice as much.

Draft saved Draft deleted