1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Design thread *Updated 4/20*

I thought I made this post. I guess not. Don't know how to make pdfs into an image, and it'll probably be gone by Friday morning, plus it's not sports. That said, this page was pretty cool:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/frontpage/seattle_pima1x320060511.pdf

2. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

MM, I came across that page on Newseum today myself, very, very cool solution to the problem of "no real art for a really interesting story". I even saved a copy, here's the page in question if you wanna avoid the PDF:

[​IMG]

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll admit, the centerpiece is oddly compelling, but there are far too many decks in the one-column stories to the right.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How has this thread gone a week without any posts?

5. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

OK, this is my first-time posting a page. I've been designing for roughly a year now on my own without anyone watching over me and telling me how to do it their way.

I work at a small town weekly (5,500 circ.), and this was supposed to be our Sports front this week (May 24). It's this year's All-County Softball team. The page is unfinished, and is being held off till the week of May 31, because my Sports Editor is bad, but that's for another time.

The two white holes in the top four-column box are for two action shots of the "captains" or the "players of the year," and the baseball field has nine designated picture boxes for headshots.

The text for the "story" is just filler of a previous story....

Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm a business major at a small community college with zero training of Quark or Photoshop until this job, so I'm learning every day, and any help or tips would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's late and I'm a bit punchy, but I think given what you said about your own personal experience limitations and the size of the paper that this is pretty good.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is it at all possible to get an overhead shot of a field from the top of a press box? It would be much better than using clip art. Also, if this is a softball team, don't use a baseball diamond, because softball fields don't have a grass infield.

8. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

unfortunately, all the softball fields don't have a press box that is high enough up to get a overhead view... and same for baseball, unless ofcourse it being over chainlength fence....

I already tried to weigh those options, and I understand that the softball field is dirt inside, so would you recommend me taking the grass out of the infield totally?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, and then draw in the pitcher's circle in Photoshop.

10. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

and like you said, i don't like the clipart at all, but if my area had the resources to take an overhead view, which it doesn't, I would use that.

My options are limited... But thanks for the advice...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That would be best. You can use Photoshop's magic wand tool to select the green area of the infield, then use the foreground color picker to match the brown portion of the infield and use the paint bucket to turn the wand-selected area brown. You can use the clone tool (rubber-stamp) to take out the black outline of the infield and ... voila! Instant softball field.

12. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

Yeah, I know how to do that.

Unfortunately, my publisher could give a rat's ass about the sports page diesign-wise, so I have very little knowledge of all the ins-and-outs of Quark 6.5 and Photoshop, but I'm getting there. I'll post a page of last week's sports front later, and ask for comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted