1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Strange news from Old Trafford -- RVN, who has been out of favor for some reason, isn't in the starting lineup and leaves the stadium before the game. I don't know how things go in soccer, but for him to be this pissed, he must have thought that he was starting. It looks like SAF has exiled another player. Generally, with the exception of Jaap Stam, these things have worked out for Man United, but I'm not sure that I'd be ready for Europe with Rossi and Saha as my starting forwards.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Beckham hasn't done a ton since leaving -- who has, in that mess at Real Madrid? -- but Man U hasn't won a meaningful competition other than the FA Cup since Sir Alex kicked Becks to the curb. I still don't see how this "worked out" for Man U. It was a mistake.

3. Webster

Well, Arsenal was undefeated three seasons ago and no one was getting in the way of Chelski the past two, so, Beckham or Ronaldo, it didn't make much difference in the EPL. They lost to the winners in the CL the first two seasons without Becks.

I didn't get the push to get him out the door, but I don't think that the team has been harmed by his departure.

4. Van the man is finished at Old Trafford...which sucks because he's one of my all-time favorite goal poachers. According to several UK papers he's either headed to Atletico Madrid, PSV or AC Milan (but I hear they aren't hot on him). Def not going to another EPL team.

Another big star that Sir Alex has pushed out the door...I really hope Chelsea shoves it up his arse every year.

5. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

The strangest news is out of England, where Sven named Theo Walcott, a whizkid who HASN'T PLAYED A FIRST TEAM GAME for Arsenal, to his 23 man squad.

And you think we have striker problems...

6. Webster

I like Sven's move -- if the kid burns it up in training -- he'll be a super sub. If not, he enjoys the ride as the last striker on the depth chart.

Think that SWP is happy he moved from Man City? From possible Becks replacement to not even making the reserve roster in record time.

7. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I'd like to see RVN head back to Holland and go play for PSV. Always liked the Dutch league, and it'd be nice to see them be able to make a bit of a run at some of the powers in the Champions League.

8. If you have a UK passport, you can't play for Arsene Wenger...

And England has major issues up front. Darius Vassell?? Please...

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Mikey Owen was 18 when he had his breakout run at France '98.

-------------

More on LasagnaGate:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-2170368,00.html
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1770022,00.html
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1770146,00.html

-------------

UT, so what does that make Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole, not to mention Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, David Seaman, etc.?

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Darren Bent scored 18 goals, behind only Henry and RVN.
    And still no spot on England's team.
    But the biggest omission was Kieran Richardson. If I were taking chances on young players, I'd gamble on that stud.

11. If you look at the Champions League rosters, no English players were in the starting 11. Not that I care one iota, but Wegner has made a name for developing young French, Spanish, Dutch and African talent...

12. Webster

Timmy Howard goes out on a season long loan to Everton. I'm guessing that he never put the gloves on again for Man United.

Draft saved Draft deleted