1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

Re: Design thread *Updated 4/20*

The Post-Dispatch CP with the type on the photo doesn't work for me, personally, might have with a more dynamic photo and a slightly smaller headline. Maybe.

And the Pittsburgh page is nice, very cool centerpiece that integrates all the elements extremely well. Though I can't get behind one-column action shots, like the one downpage. You're almost better off without a photo with the Pirates gamer.

2. carrie

carrie Active Member

Luke - I think one-column photos on the front CAN serve a purpose. Unfortunately, this one on the Pittsburgh cover didn't work for me either.

If you have to run that much of a cutline explaining what is going on in the photo, you should probably rethink your photo selection. Also, the dek hed mentions Perez's "quality start" and three homers by the Pirates, but the photo is of a St. Louis outfielder diving for the ball. A tight-cropped pitcher photo would have been my first choice, if only because you can see a face.

3. Re: Design thread *Updated 4/20*

In general, I think small photos are underrated. Cutlines are the most read thing in the paper, I believe.
    Which is not to say I don't want BIG photos, because I like those, too. :p

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I like small photos if they work well with the story and pull the reader in. This one I'm not real big on. It's pretty generic. Sometimes I will hold off on a good shot and run one that's not as good small so I can keep the better shot for later when I can give it good play. (Of course, a lot of those days I only get like two shots to choose from). A shot of the pitcher definitely would've fit better, and a lot of pitcher shots can be decent small or can be cropped to be good that size.

And I'm torn on the headline over the photo. My first instinct is that I don't like it for a game story, but it's something different. More magaziney. And I love magazine design. But I think the design should reflect the story, and unless we're going to move toward making our game stories almost completely featurized or pure analysis (which maybe we should), then I would steer away from this kind of treatment.

At least, that's my answer today. The PD did it with another big event (Super Bowl?) and I loved it.

5. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

It's an interesting topic, guys.

I'd certainly agree with SportsDesigner on the importance of cutlines. But I still think at that size for the image, it's the equivalent of trying to write a story in three or four inches -- the impact is lost on the reader. Hell, my paper uses one-column photos a LOT at the top of our sports cover for inside refers, so it's something I have to work with all the time.

In my opinion, the best small photos (one-column or thereabouts) are almost always emotional reaction shots or, as Carrie mentioned, a pitcher shot or something with a good face. Action at that size is just a tough sell for me. But I'm sure everyone comes from their own school of thought on one-column art.

Any more thoughts on this, folks?

6. Re: Design thread *Updated 4/20*

Agreed, one column photos usually require some brutal cropping to get the face bigger.
    That doesn't always put you in favor of the photo editors.

One column photos with strong color also work even if a face isn't dominant.

7. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Just thinking out loud here ...

Could the long cutline be a product of filling space?

You have the centerpiece, which is a certain depth. And the top piece is seemingly a perfect measure.
    Then you have the Pirates package across the bottom. It's clear that it can't run much narrower because of the one column mug -- unless you don't wrap the copy around the col mug and run it only as deep as the mug shot.
    So now you're left with packaging the Pirates gamer. You don't want to run the headline all the way across and bump the column headline. You break it up with a photo. But if your photo selection sucks and you're left with running a Cardinals photo that isn't very deep, then your forced into a long cutline.
    Sometimes a great center piece forces you to do awkward things with the rest of the page.
    Not an excuse, but sometimes a corner you back yourself into sometimes.

Also, I don't think the outfielder is diving and catching the ball. I could be wrong, but it looks like the ball's going off his wrist.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So, the first reply in here since how long?

Guess we can all see DyePack has brought a lot to this message board.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Carrie not being around so much probably has more to do with this thread fading out lately.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Perhaps, but it doesn't help to have every design comment met with a smart-ass reply.

11. carrie

carrie Active Member

:-[

Sorry guys. :-\

I'll try to find some time to peruse the 'net and find some pages to throw up here in the next few days.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good to see you back here. You were needed. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted