1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You can drop Landinho from the Germany match roster.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-5691050,00.html

2. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Philly may get a team just yet...at Rowan University in South Jersey.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060316/UPDATES01/603160339

I think if Clint was in trouble, he would have been on the roster no matter the circumstances. He is not technically precluded from participating. Funny enough, this probably gives him a break just before the season. He's been going for a while. Do you think perhaps someone wanted to give him a break? I think you can safely pencil him alongside the Euros who aren't involved with this friendly either.

Now if I was Steve Ralston, I'd be worried...

3. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Interesting news about Philly getting a squad. My guess would be someplace like KC that hasn't been keen on building a new soccer specific facility might be next on the moving list.....

If this happens, you'll be looking at new stadiums in NYC, Columbus, Dallas, LA, Chicago, Toronto, Philly.... Getting closer to what is ideal, 10-12 intimate parks....

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Two clubs in Ohio will create a natural local rivalry, which the MLS has avoided up to this point. Sure Chivas and the Galaxy play in the same joint, but Chivas is more ethnic that location centric. Cleveland and Columbus...perfect fit. White collar GOP assholes who run the state into the ground vs. the city that can't win shit in anything.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My take on the Dempsey situation is that The Bruce doesn't want another Mathis. So, he punishes him now for what occurred with the club team in the US, but when June rolls around, he's on the roster and headed overseas.

I'm curious to know who will replace Donovan in this game.

Germany has a full roster, real stacked. The US is more of a B-team. This could be a very interesting game to watch.

Remember: Germany just got whacked by Italy in their last friendly. The populace will not be happy with a second loss, nevermind a loss to the US.

6. according to U.S. Soccer, The Bruce is not replacing Donovan

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Rowan University is not in Philly.  It's not even particularly convenient to Philly, according to an editor at my place who lived there for years.  But I guess it's the local equivalent to Harrison, should the Metros (er, whatever they're called now) ever get their new stadium.

At least Harrison has a PATH station, making the commute from Manhattan much simpler.

8. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

is the proper spelling
    friendlies or
    friendlys?

as in, 'we're playing a series of friendlies this weekend.'

I figure it's -ies, but just wanted to make sure.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

friendlies

10. TrooperBari

11. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe that game is Wednesday already.... Should be a good one. Am I recalling correctly that Reading released Hahnemann and Convey, along with any German-based player being available for the match?

Gotta figure it's a two-way battle for the backup spot between Howard and Hahnemann... be interested in seeing Hahnemann play some on Wednesday - perhaps the second half?

12. TrooperBari

I don't see why Hey Hahnemann wouldn't see a half. Bruce already had Keller and Howard split time against Poland ... if Marcus can keep his head in a road game in Germany, that's a big point in his favor. The other one being that, unlike T-Ho, he's actually playing on a regular basis.

Now about that distribution.... :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted