1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bmf

bmf Guest

Re: Design thread *Updated 2/25*

This is nice, but to me the headline and subdeck should not overpower the photo, which really isn't that great considering the angle. The photo tells the story and to me, I can't even tell who it is.
    The layout needs one story on the right rail.

2. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

[​IMG]

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Design thread *Updated 3/9*

Too many subheds on Pelfrey. Other than that, pretty eye-catching and solid.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I am not a fan. That main package hurts my head, and that's at a smaller size. I can't imagine that color, especially on the black lines, reproduced that well. It's a huge block of color, but it really doesn't tell you anything. Four inches of copy, just so you can run in REALLY BIG TYPE the score of each loss?

Seems like a waste of space to me. Find a more creative way.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm with not ace... i say flip-flop the scores and the photo. the scores work just as well that size and the photo is decent.

and really, did we need to rub it in that my royals are going to suck ass again this year? i mean, seriously, when the crazy homeless dude with blood on his hands (not making this up) last night at duane reade laughed at me because i was wearing a royals hat, that was enough, don't you think?

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Interesting under sports it says "now you know."
    The huge score list was lousy way to present the story. I'd rather see the photo bigger and the chart much smaller. The list could have a sentence or two on each game.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The way the "18" is positioned in the subhead doesn't do it for me. Looks like it's a seperate element, leaving us with "Royals' record slump at games"

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, the designer failed to embrace his/her best friend: The giant numeral.

And "Now you know" is beyond cheesy.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

As someone who toiled in the market of a spectacularly bad baseball team, I've designed those losing streak tallies before, and there are simply more imaginative ways out there to reflect that than above.

And why there's a 15-point border on that thing is anyone's guess.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We actually used that "Now you know" thing for a while in our ads and stuff. And yes, it was incredibly cheesy.

11. bmf

bmf Guest

The black and white bars makes me want to puke. If anything I would have gone with some team colors, that would at least justify it.

12. carrie

carrie Active Member

Re: Design thread *Updated 3/15*

In the spirit of the NCAA tournament, check out this cover from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

[​IMG]

(I had this one run a little larger to see all the jerseys, which are in the order of the brackets).

Thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted