1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Re: USA/Poland Thread (soccer)

The Metros going to be very, very poor this year.

At least Columbus has Buddle to score occasionally. Outside of Youri, you have the mercurial (and perpetually overrated) Mike Magee and a cast of characters, despite my MLS expertise, I can't even name. Maybe Ibrahim will turn out to be a stud.

This is usually ok if the defense is extremely solid, which the group you presented is certainly not.

2. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Stands weren't near full.
    The tickets ranged from 15 euro (about 19 U.S. dollars) to 45 euro (about 58 U.S. dollars)
    It's been snowing here all around in the Kaiserslautern area all day long. It's currently 6:15 Central European Time and cold as hell outside as the last of the daylight escapes us.
    The U.S. men will play in Dortmund (a couple hundred miles above here and north of Cologne) against the German national team on March 22, will play one "real" WC game in this same Kaiserslautern stadium in June.
    Another U.S. game in the WC will be staged in nearby Frankfurt so there will plenty of chances for U.S. fans here to get back out and see the team.
    I watched last nite's game on live TV here with my wife.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Guevara can score.
    Abbe's got visa issues.

As for Magee, who knows. He's playing well in pre-season, but we all know how well that translates.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

5. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I'm not slamming Poland in any shape or form. What I'm saying is that they US didn't know which way they were making their runs. Guys would take off to their right only to have the ball delivered to their left. All I'm saying is that the familiarity that was evident with the crew that played Guatemala - because they've been in training camp together for six weeks - was missing with these guys for much of the first half.

Shouldn't be a problem when the cup rolls around because they'll have some time to work together before play begins.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

MINE EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY!!!

7. Del_B_Vista

Has the all-purpose, neverending soccer thread been tried yet? They always tend to branch into other discussions, which I enjoy. Can Zizzer change the thread title?

8. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Just for you, Del.....

9. Del_B_Vista

There should also probably be an "All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Bashing Thread," but as my man Stu once said, "Man, f-ck those guys."

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Ah, memories ... some of my favorite (off-field) moments from WC 2002 were Bruce's sparring sessions with the German media leading up to Hugh Dallas-gate.

Arena said he has aspirations of coaching in Europe. I know I'd pay good money for Bundesliga broadcasts (or at least Bild and Kicker subscriptions) if he landed there.

11. TrooperBari

That was the Belgium game, actually. Germany got in all 90 minutes of their 4-1 pimp-slapping from Italy.

I almost - almost, mind you - kind of feel for Klinsy. He's probably going to end up taking the fall for having a generation of German players who are a shadow of the teams the Fatherland is used to. Klose? Podolski? Kuranyi? Diesler? Where'd all the young talent go? Ballack is damn good, but he's not a one-man gang.

12. TrooperBari

I'd be surprised if Howard was anything other than third choice right now. Keller is a mortal lock to start and Hahnemann - who we'll see more of once Reading clinches promotion - is actually playing and doing well. Timmy's seen next to no action at ManYoo, so how could he be ahead of Hahnemann?

Howard looked OK against Poland, but aside from a couple low skidders, he really wasn't under that much pressure. The Germany match will likely be Keller again, since the Bundesliga is taking that weekend off, so where else is THo going to get match sharp before the World Cup?

--------------

Reis is probably the emergency back-up right now. If Kevin Hartman sees the field in Germany, it's time to start making plans for 2010 qualifying....

Draft saved Draft deleted