1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best writers who have recently gone solo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sill Bimmons, Mar 23, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Man, a Lynn Hoppes reference. This is a greatest hits thread if I've ever seen one.

2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I wonder what Lynn is up to now.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to Facebook, he’s still an events supervisor with the recreation department of an Orlando suburb.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Other than fabulous hair?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Lou Diamond Plagiarism

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Holy shit this is spectacular.

Woody Long and dixiehack like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You could count on Lynn to make a big design splash every time APSE judging descended locally upon Orlando Kissimmee. For better or worse, his other journalistic contribution was the unleashing of Jemele Hill.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I came across this (don't ask, it's a long story) and came across this APSE interview with Lynn Hoppes.

Haven't seen it but I can't imagine it goes over any of the nonsense that got him canned. I wanted to resurrect the 2012 thread from when Deadspin initially uncovered it but sadly, it is locked. It also establishes that I've been on this site for WAY too long.

https://apsportseditors.com/apse-at...ion-leading-apse-editing-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

If you were writing a history of sports journalism, cerca 2000-2010-ish, the cultification/deification of APSE and then its subsequent rapid decline in influence would have to be one of the major storylines.

10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I remember when I was coming up, an older guy in the newsroom was hellbent on being an APSE finalist. Hell, I have two of them. But now, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares. Twitter made it very easy to see who is and isn’t good.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted