1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That was as good a season as I can remember. Whatever "it" is, this cast and crew has it.

Also I've really enjoyed bantering about the show with everyone here. Like anything else these days, SNL is a niche thing, but it's fun to discuss it with fans. Also, this is season 13 for this thread, which means it's lasted more than a quarter of the show itself! :D

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I doubt it's going off the air anytime soon. I have no idea what an ad goes for on the show, but NBC's got to be doing OK with it and it's still got some cache in the industry...hosting or performing on SNL is still a big deal. It's also one of the few shows that can be counted on to reliably offer up water cooler/viral moments.

As for Lorne handing off the baton, Tina taking it makes a ton of sense. But I can't see Lorne leaving while he's still, you know, breathing. He's 80 this year and as long as he's healthy, I could see him running the show for the 60th anniversary when he's pushing 90 (of course, that's assuming the world makes it that far).

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Damn. This thread did start in 2011. Yikes!

Yeah, the show has been a habit for me since I was a teen and those mid-late 80s casts. I’ve always dug live sketch comedy and theater.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Same. My buddies and I started watching in high school (graduated in '91) and "can I stay at so-and-so's house to watch SNL?" became the first way to nudge my curfew past 1 AM. Just this week I sent those buddies an Instagram clip of Dana Carvey & Phil Hartman as Ross Perot & James Stockdale. One wrote back almost immediately "I'M HUNGRY!!!" Will always have fond memories of that era.

Then by the time I got to college, we had VCRs and could tape it when we were out being idiots on a Saturday night and catch up on Sunday. In my 20s and 30s, we usually ended up planning whatever we were doing on Saturday around being at someone's house and watching SNL. And now I've got a chance to get my daughter into it, which is pretty neat. She and my wife got home late from attending a nearby play last Saturday and were still up when SNL started so she explained the hot sauce challenge to us. :D She also saw the coming attractions and declared she was going to stay up this week for Sabrina Carpenter, alas, she fell asleep at like 10:30.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Even in the bad years, I said SNL was better than anything else to do at 11:30 on a Saturday night (on TV, of course).

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ll be honest, the show for me has been meh the past couple of years. We will usually watch it on Sunday or Monday but I can’t think of more than a handful of skits where I really laughed this season.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s funny the little, silly stuff that becomes part of a running joke with friends.

When my closest friends get together once or twice a year, and often on our text chain, “Tiny Elvis” is a staple.

“That’s huge, Tiny E!”

Edit to add: Nic Cage made me think of the Asswipe Johnson sketch. A classic.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

IT'S AHS-WEEP-AY!

Deskgrunt50 and garrow like this.
  9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Some humble thoughts on superlatives for Season 49:

- Male MVP: Mikey Day. He's become the every-man guy of the cast that can do any number of characters as a goofball or straight man.
    - Female MVP: Heidi Gardner. With the big three of McKinnon, Bryant and Strong gone, this is definitely her era now as the women's workhorse
    - Most improved: Andrew Dismukes. He's been getting a lot of good spots since getting promoted to repertory
    - Featured MVP: Marcello Hernandez. He brings a frenetic energy that comes across well on camera
    - Best episode: Ryan Gosling. Others may have different tastes, but that whole episode was just a blast to watch (consolation: Bad Bunny, Ayo Edebiri)
    - Worst episode: Shane Gillis. I know the MAGA crowd loved it, but it wasn't for me at all
    - Sketch of the year: Beavis & Butthead
    - Filmed piece of the year: the lake song in the Bargatze episode
    - Musical act: Chris Stapleton

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Comedy's so subjective. Most posters on this thread loved the Kristen Wiig ep, which I thought was lousy.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Heidi Gardner is so funny and gorgeous. Mikey Day is underrated.

FileNotFound and nietsroob17 like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dead solid perfect on Gardner and Day. Marcello has not captured me quite as much as he has others. He feels like the kid who's a little too excited to be in a sketch. Got the same feeling from Dismukes last season, but he became much more comfortable this season.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted