1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Castellano (casty33)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, May 4, 2024.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sorry to bear bad news but longtime Mets beat writer Dan Castellano--a well-liked poster here under the name casty33--died today following a long illness.

Rest in Peace Dan Castellano

Casty posted his real name many times here, including when Paul Needell/Shockey died of MS in 2015. Casty also had MS but said his was less advanced than Paul's when he paid tribute to Paul, which was shortly before Casty stopped posting here. I don't know if the illness referred to in his obituary was MS or something else.

Dan was always considered a terrific writer as well as the kindest and sanest person in the sea of sharks that was the Mets beat during the chaotic championship and beyond period. He brought that kindness & gentleness here, along with a willingness to talk shop and provide support to everyone regardless of experience level. Such traits were so valuable to this board as well during its heated early days. RIP Casty. Say hi to Shockey, Frank Ridgeway, spnited, Arnold Babar, SF_Express, suburbanite, kokane_muthashed, Perenially Overrated & Tom Petty for us.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP, Mr. Castellano. One of my favorite posters because of his ability to talk with people about sports and this industry without talking down to them.

The SJ in Heaven forum must be having one hell of a party tonight.

EDIT: And one minor quibble in the obit. I'm guessing the town is Clermont, Fla.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    HanSenSE, ChrisLong and FileNotFound like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

RIP, Casty.

Also, the poster Tom Petty died?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tom has been gone eight years or more. I had some nice conversations with him. Good guy.

Thanks for the sad news, @BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo. I mean

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

RIP casty

BYH's list was hard to read. Too many great posts - particularly about journalism - to count.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There haven't been too many, if any, more balanced, informative, and humane voices on this board than casty 33. I knew him very very very slightly on the baseball beat. Here I really knew him. RIP to a champ.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He was thoroughly decent here even the board was at the height of its blood sport era. Blessings to those who knew and mourn him.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It was jarring to realize how many posters we've lost.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I grew up reading Casty and greatly appreciated years later being able to get to know him better as a fellow alum of the Ledger's sports section.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I knew a few posters have gone to the Great Server in the Sky, but I didn't know about Tom Petty.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I didn't know, either. Knew he stopped posting all those years ago, and we talked by PMs a few times afterward, I think, but I'd never heard that he had passed. I thought he just decided to stay away.

If he's gone, RIP Petty. He could be absolutely vicious in a flame war, but he was a good poster here regardless, and an even better guy when you got to know him. And even if it was just through PMs. ... He was a deep thinker, and a brooder, and a guy who couldn't stand corruption at any level, whether it be politics, corporate affairs or established trust of any kind.

We often talked by a stream of PMs here long after midnight, so many times.
    If he's really passed, it hits hard for me. I always hoped to see him back here again.

Draft saved Draft deleted