1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Rams' draft process:
    1. Trade away your first-round pick for a quality veteran.
    2. Trade away your first round picks for the next five years for more quality veterans.
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Win

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never too soon?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it yet. Doing it at the Forum isn't great - too big of a room.

Update: Yes, could use some editing - 2 hrs. instead of three, but when Drew Bledsoe, Kevin Hart and Bill Belichick are the the unexpected high points - really - truly funny. It's worth a watch.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Tawmmy with his MISTER Kraft moment

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I was in high school working at a stationery store the last time I referred to a store owner as Mr. or a boss for that matter. But you see it all the time in sports. Weird. Talk about a plantation society. These owners aren't "giving" the players anything - only helping cripple them for life - but "Mr....?

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

This is how ingrained it is in football culture: when he was on during the NFL draft and describing the Randy Moss trade, Belichick talked of how he spoke to "Mr. Davis" to finalize the deal with the Raiders.

I understand that busting people's balls in the manner of the Brady roast has gone on forever in more private settings, and I've certainly done it myself with friends. But it's remarkable how the popular culture now embraces things this profane and ribald being out in the open. I'm not saying that this is a sign of the end times or that our culture has hopelessly decayed, only that, man, society has really changed over the course of my life.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Now embraces?" Dean Martin spins in his grave.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The old school drunken Friars Roasts were not much different - except that the worst of the obscene and ribald was edited out before the telecast.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what I was getting at - what was offered for widespread public consumption at things like the Dean Martin roasts kept within certain boundaries that just don't seem to exist now.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cable killed decorum.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Were there a medium to skirt FCC regulations back then, studios would have been airing anything and everything on that medium. Money was money in the 1960s too.

Draft saved Draft deleted