1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am inclined to give other folks a pass for horrible pre-draft analysis of quarterbacks due to a couple of incidents in my former career. A long long time ago, when I was at the Phoenix, I covered a Boston College home game against an opponent who had a highly touted quarterback. BC won the game easily, and the quarterback had a tough day, too. So I wrote that I didn't see John Elway as being such a much. Years later at the Herald, older but not wiser, I covered BU in its penultimate football season, in its opening I-AA playoff game. Bu won like 41-38 in a complete shootout. My column focused on the BU quarterback and I think I relegated the opposing QB to a single sentence. This was probably a mistake, as that guy was Kurt Warner.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Almost everyone who gets drafted in the first round was a star in college, and the quarterbacks are all household names, so it's understandable that the oversaturation of coverage is going to be positive to a fault.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But there seems to be zero recognition of past mistakes in the draft. With some of these teams, its like going to a wedding for someone getting hitched for the seventh time and saying "I've never seen him or her happier! They are soulmates!!" etc. etc.

BTW - I know a lot of the teams with new GMs will layoff their entire scouting departments after the draft. How does that work? You know a new GM is going to bring in his own people, but he is still relying on a group of employees who have been scouting players and doing the legwork for the entire year - and are looking for their next gig. Is there a "code?" Do most scouts have their next gig already lined up? Are they permitted in the "war room?" Is there worry they would leak stuff to another team they are hoping will hire them? Is their info reliable?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Happy Bo Callahan Day!

britwrit and Justin_Rice like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Uhh
    Caleb Williams' girlfriend was taller than him (with heels).

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

All chalk so far.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Like the outline of the guy Marv, Sr. killed outside a Philly garage.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So I am watching the draft with my daughter, who's here on a business trip from France, and she has never watched the draft on TV before. Her Patriots' fan comment on Drake Maye was as follows. "Oh, God, kid, check your fly BEFORE you're on camera." She's not hopeful.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Adam Schefter really stuck his neck out there

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, Falcons.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

who was wearing them?

Batman and justgladtobehere like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How the heck does that make sense with the money they just spent on Cousins?

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted