1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It seems Georgia's starting catcher, Fernando Gonzalez, is allowed to play today because Georgia only has two catchers — him and Henry Hunter, who was also suspended. Gonzalez is going to sit out the team's next game on Tuesday against Kennesaw State. So they're sitting Hunter, the backup, today, and then he'll play Tuesday while Gonzalez sits.
    That seems like a steaming 10-foot tall pile of bullshit.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This could be the break the Fighting Judges need on Tuesday.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Against Virginia Tech and Coastal Carolina too. Not exactly Gastonia College of Trucking and Beauty.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You gotta sell 8,000 tickets with 18 players on the field. You can't just put up one of those nets that bounces the pitch back to the kid like I saw in the 80s.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never a dull Saturday night when Mississippi State and its catcher Johnny Long are involved.
    Long was the guy who sparked the dust-up with Georgia last week by overreacting to a close play at the plate. Tonight, he hit a go-ahead home run in the 12th inning against Ole Miss — then carried the bat halfway down the line before flipping it toward Ole Miss' dugout. Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco was not happy about it, as you can hear.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The game itself is kind of drunk, too. Ole Miss scored four runs in the eighth inning to tie it 7-7. They swapped runs in the 11th inning, Long's home run made it 9-8 in the top of the 12th, and then Ole Miss walked it off with a two-out, two-run single.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Bianco was right. Player ejection mandatory on that.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You had ONE job!

Liut likes this.
  10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was at the visitation after the death of a friend's mother. This was in Natchez, Mississippi. At the visitation, I met LSU Jimmy, a huge, HUGE LSU fan. The person who introduced us said Jimmy wears an LSU shirt all the time. Every day, no matter the occasion. Sure enough, at the funeral the next day, LSU Jimmy came to the service rocking an LSU shirt. Dude was dedicated to his school.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Arkansas doesn't win the CWS ...

I keep seeing these insane defensive plays on the socials.

First one is from yesterday, I think, where the CF pump-faked catching a flyball to force the runner at 3rd to tag, then caught the ball and threw to the third basemen who rifled it to the catcher for the double play.

Then there's a play from a few days ago where the third baseball charged and barehanded a high chop and rifled home to get the guy at the plate.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's Arkansas. Something will happen to prevent them from winning. Like a two-out pop foul just behind first base landing untouched in the middle of three players.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted