1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running athletes busted for gambling thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 8, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You're not worth a billion dollars. (No offense :D)

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would say that while the explanation isn't implausible, it's stupid enough that you would think there had to be a more logical explanation than the one we were given.

My wife also handles our financial stuff. I think that's pretty normal.

Ohtani gave unfettered access to his bank account to his interpreter. Ohtani's financial people had to go through the interpreter to get access to information about the accounts and he wouldn't give it to them. That's nuts.

I think "the interpreter is taking the fall for Ohtani" makes infinitely more sense. It just isn't what happened here.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's nuts that Ohtani trusted the one guy in the USA he was with every day. He didn't have anybody else at that point. Even if he wanted to fully trust his financial people, he'd need the interpreter to be the middle man.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A lackey running up millions in gambling debt?

Sure, Mike.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is: Does $41 million mean anything to you? If it does, you look after it. You.

Or have some checks and balances. If Eppei has access to your account, have the lowest level new hire at his wealth management firm do a monthly cash reconciliation. Takes 15 minutes, tops.

If $41 million doesn't mean anything to you, you let the team interpreter/personal errand boy whom you've known for less than a decade, have unfettered access.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And it was a lot more than $41 mil.
    Errand boy kept the winnings, and wired the losses from Shoehei's account.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yup. That's another way to look at it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good thing he's retired!

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

How many lifetime bans did Steve Howe get?

Maybe the silver lining is a week after banning someone for life, an unpopular commish will clutch their chest and drop.

Draft saved Draft deleted