1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NHL 2023-24 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Oct 10, 2023.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Was listening to a little of the Arizona radio broadcast, and listening to them say the words "last" and "final" a lot reminds you that the whole thing is just incredibly sad. Even the NHL team with the worst following (whether they are the Coyotes or someone else) would be mourned by hundreds if not thousands. And that's before we talking about the players, support staff and arena workers who'll have to move to a different state or lose their jobs.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's pretty impressive that Tom Wilson is equally hated by both New York fanbases.

Also, Anders Lee should have finished him off when he had the chance in 2020. :D

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was just checking my Instagram and realized that a friend, who is a TV sports director in Minnesota, and her boyfriend (who lives in my 12-unit apartment building) are at this game and in good seats. They had to have bought these tickets a month ago without even knowing.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Coyotes thing just really sucks, top to bottom.

I was at the very first Coyotes game. I was an original season ticket holder. Those games were an absolute blast.

A series of absolutely terrible owners has led us to this. And the more I think about it, the more I doubt the cheap bastard who owns the team now will actually succeed with the development that would bring the Coyotes back.

My youngest wasn't born when I was a season ticket holder. He's now a freshman at ASU, in a dorm a few blocks from Mullett Arena. He's become a hockey fan this year. I planned to take him to a game there but missed the chance.

There is absolutely a fan base here that would support an NHL team. Maybe someday there will actually be a team and arena that can prove it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I guess this certainly opens the door for ASU to beef up its fan base.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

https://x.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1780834656159481935

So fucking sad, but bravo to Walsh for going to the end with class and composure.

I think ASU hockey will probably be fine. They've been basically playing to full houses since they've been at Mullett, which is a top-tier rink, and they're joining the NCHC, which has won the Frozen Four six out of the last eight times it's been contested, starting this fall. They've gotten a bit of a reputation for rowdiness, but they beat three NCHC teams last year, including national champion Denver, and they'll always be recruiting kids to Arizona State.

Huggy, dixiehack and Sea Bass like this.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That was excellent.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

More importantly he helped Canada win the ‘05 World Juniors.

I’ve always liked him. He made it to 39 after it looked like his (rumoured) off-ice activities might have derailed him early. Maybe that trade to Columbus woke him up.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Seeing the Coyotes depart has me remembering covering one of the last games of the Minnesota North Stars. They were playing the Kings at the L.A. Forum, where the press box was in the stands right above the walkway. The last couple of rows are for team officials and scouts. Norm Green was sitting in the last row and fans were right behind him. Near the end, during a stoppage in play, this guy stands up and shouts: "NORM GREEN, I HATE YOUR FUCKING ASS.: And he dumped a full beer over Green's head. Green just took it, didn't challenge the guy or anything.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Has anyone broached how insane it is to expect SLC to sell season tickets with a 6-month turnaround to puck drop? Most expansion teams get an 18-24 month runway or longer these days to warm up the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted