1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A touch of quality control would be nice before they send things out. The college football bowl glance was riddled with style errors, and one or two factual ones. They have the Orange Bowl as Florida vs. Georgia, and the locations of the Fenway and Pinstripe Bowls flipped.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was going to say pics or GTFO, but a little googling found this;
    Screenshot_20231204_185114_Chrome.jpg

How the hell does that happen?

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bob Marley wonders why police didn't shoot the deputy for taking people hostage and claiming to have a bomb.

"FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — A deputy shot and killed a man Tuesday after he took people hostage and claimed to have a bomb at a Florida bank, authorities said."

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dude, he shot the sheriff, not the deputy (oh no).

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Am I the only person who delete's a team's AP ranking from the NCAA Tournament capsules? Feels absolutely meaningless in this setting...

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If they were in El Paso (clap clap clap), they would've took the money and run.

maumann likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

8. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Never understood why he (and a few others) write so expansively in AP stories when the majority of other AP writers have their stories cut or summarized to the bone.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Fendrich's wheelhouse is tennis, right? Of course he's going to overwrite. Constructing a narrative only around what happened during the run of play - not the interminable off-court struggles in the walk-up to the event, the incessant health issues the winner has overcome, the in-match challenges (heat, humidity, dampness, dark of night, unseasonable cold ... take your pick, it's always something), the proving doubters wrong/supporters right ... - wouldn't require more than a few paragraphs.

As I recall, Steven Wine covered the Miami-area tennis events, and he was (is?) the gold standard. Doesn't try to turn every result into a performance worthy of Homer.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  10. awriter

awriter Active Member

But first, they’d have fallen in love with a Mexican girl.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  11. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Not sure what happened here, but the AL and NL standings had scores and schedule, then they didn't, then they did, then they didn't, then they did.

[​IMG]

MNgremlin likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, fortunately by the time the crap version appeared I only had to add the Rangers-Cubs score manually. Didn't have to worry about the west coast games.

Bugs me that tennis results always include countries. Unless it's Davis Cup, Billie Jean King Cup or the Olympics, it doesn't matter. And DP World Tour golf scores include countries, too.

MNgremlin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted