1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2024.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Baltimore Banner is a worthwhile follow.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Former Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx served in between those two. He was transportation secretary during Obama's second term.

Yes it is. A lot of familiar names from the Baltimore Sun of the mid-2000s and early 2010s in the bylines.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Probably a better question is, what has a recent DOT Sec'y done to merit any recollection whatsoever?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Elizabeth Dole with Liddy Lights?

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Elaine Chao was Secretary of Transportation. She is also Mitch McConnell's wife. That's how come I remember.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Seattle Pilots weren't a reference to Boeing.
    My dad was in the Navy and liked to sail so I got into this stuff a little. It's a big deal for a captain to hand over his ship, but there are some crazy places to pilot a ship.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

What’s Lou Holtz doing on that Harley?!?!

Slacker likes this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Norm Minetta was the longest-serving in that position. He was the only Dem in W’s cabinet.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

RIP. He really was remarkable.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The land yachts of the 1970s had pretty much the same footprint as the biggest of today's pickups. And the roads and bridges were narrower.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that, and I well remember the cars of the late '60s and 70s, but I ride around on the same roads I did then, and I don't ever recall seeing two vehicles complete to a complete stop and have a standoff because they couldn't get by one another. Maybe it was just there wasn't as much traffic, so it didn't happen often.
    I've also personally seen instances where two school buses or two deliver trucks couldn't pass in opposite directions.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As much as I'd like to agree with you, I remember seeing two big rigs ease past each other on the old railroad bridges in the Florida Keys back in the 1970s when I was a kid. If they can do it, then a Super Duty (width 80 inches, a tenth of an inch bigger than an F-150) will be fine.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted