1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And yet the Brewers, Angels, Braves and Blue Jays are on the road. When you play every team, a lot of these things can be avoided.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

These things can also be avoided by getting rid of the idea that every team needs to play every other team. Trust me, I do not need to see the Mets play the White Sox or the Yankees play the Rockies. Get rid of interleague except for six-game home-and-home rivalry series and open every season with divisional or regionally friendly games. It'll be much easier to make anything up thereafter. If the Mets and Brewers get rained out again this weekend, when are they gonna play?

swingline likes this.
  3. MileHigh

Don't disagree. But we're 30 years in. The DH is in the NL. We're not going back.

In fact, and I've said this for years, it's long time to redo divisions based on geography for all 30 teams. No need for NL and AL anymore.

maumann likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're already about as geographically balanced as you can get. The Florida and Texas teams are a little misplaced, but they're geographical orphans no matter what you do. Same with Colorado. And if you move them then you have to move someone else as well for balance.

Even if you start mixing and matching teams you wind up with the same problem. Unless you want a bunch of mongoloid divisions with weird numbers of teams just to put the Yankees and Mets and Cubs and White Sox in the same division.
    The current geographical alignment is fine.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Holyfield found him.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

That'll happen when they expand to 32...after, of course, the next labor stoppage in which the owners all cry poor.

NORTHEAST
    Yankees
    Red Sox
    Mets
    Blue Jays

MID-ATLANTIC
    Phillies
    Orioles
    Nationals
    Charlotte/Tennessee/TBA

SOUTHEAST
    Braves
    Rays
    Marlins
    Royals (?)

RUST BELT
    Guardians
    Tigers
    Pirates
    Reds

MIDWEST
    Brewers
    Cubs
    White Sox
    Twins

SOUTHWEST
    Rangers
    Astros
    Diamondbacks
    Cardinals (?)

CALIFORNIA
    Dodgers
    Angels
    Giants
    Padres

FAR WEST
    Athletics
    Portland/TBA
    Rockies
    Mariners

Every division is pretty easy to figure out except the Southeast & Southwest. Splitting the Royals & Cardinals up there is sorta dumb but hey, St. Louis was in the NFC East and Atlanta in the NL West for decades!

7. MileHigh

Posted in 2022:

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

By "league." If you're going to have most of your games against division opponents, why not have divisions of:

Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Giants, A's
    Astros, Rangers, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Rockies
    Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Royals
    Twins, Tigers, Reds, Pirates, Guardians
    Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Phillies
    Rays, Marlins, Braves, Nationals, Orioles

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My favorite sportscenter commercial. Brilliant.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Picking nits here b/c they're both classics, but I'd argue his turn as the Melrose Place pool boy is even funnier.

"Hi Sydney. I'm Bobby. I'm the new pool boy. Want to rub some cocoa oil on my back?"

poindexter likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I mean, I think "Follow me! Follow me to freedom!" is possibly the single best line in one of those commercials, but I remain partial to the charity super-single, "Don't Walk."

"In this league there's somethin' brewin' / You can see it in Patrick Ewing!"

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays would almost certainly have opened at home today but are on the road until April 8 due to the next phase of Rogers Centre renos which happened over the winter. I'm sure there's still a few things that need to be finished.

Draft saved Draft deleted