1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Lieberman, candidate for Vice President

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

He also voted for the Iraq war. On the flip side, the guy who ran against him for Senate, Ned Lamont, is now CT’s governor.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Respect the long service to our country, even choosing his friend McCain over party loyalties - but the No Labels stuff was idiotic. Particularly in the time of Trump.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gore chose Lieberman because Lieberman was a Clinton critic, and Gore was seeking to distance himself from Bubba.

Gore sorely underestimated Clinton's lingering popularity on leaving office. Thus the path from 9/11 to Iraq and Obama and the Tea Party and the 2016 capstone effort.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Kato like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I really got into Lamont's campaign and was shocked and dismayed at his loss. Glad he recovered.

5. DanOregon

I think Gore was really hurt by the inevitability of his nomination. His campaign was really bad, they made a lot of bad decisions. Its tough running as a sitting veep, wanting to get "credit" for work done in the previous Administration, while also forging a new path - but I never understood the "narrative" of his campaign. I think "lockbox" hiring Naomi Wolf to choose your wardrobe, the general stiffness - Gore really could have used a "leaked" tape of him telling an off-color joke or something.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Voters were scared about having to watch more of Al’s Elaine’ing.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read Gore believes that he lost the 2000 election because the Republicans tied him to Clinton's behavior. Clinton believes that if he had run he could have beat Bush by 10 points, despite said behavioral problems, because as a campaigner he could have talked his way out of the scandals. I believe both statements are correct.

8. DanOregon

Say one thing about Clinton - he wasn't shy about leaning in when it came to taking on Republicans rhetorically. Of course his legislative record is one of caving and seeking the middle path and calling it a win. A charming guy, but seemed more hell-bent on being popular than accomplishing meaningful change.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor, but I would never recommend a recumbent bike to anyone who bikes in traffic. Literally every time I see one, I am horrified thinking how dangerous it looks.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How incredibly quaint that sounds in 2024.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not really. If a Democrat were involved in a sex scandal now, it would be BREAKING NEWS on all the news nets. Above the fold 1A NYT.

It's Republicans who face no consequences for their behavior.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

One thing I've wondered about for years: Do you fall and then break the hip, or do you break the hip and then fall?

Draft saved Draft deleted