1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 2, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It was pretty bad that he first said it was hurt, then euthanized. But he didn't actually remember its name. Especially since it was Havinameltdown.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I find columns by journalists complaining that the people they cover will not go to breakfast with them unprofessional. Why do subjects of a journalist's stories owe him a shared meal?

And I don't understand the part about upholding the "tradition" of the Preakness. The Preakness would have run today whether the breakfast had been held or not. The only people who would have cared if the breakfast had been canceled were evidently some sportswriters.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If a track throws the horse people a breakfast party every year, the least they can do is show up and respect the tradition.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we don’t eat grits!

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So they’re moving the rest of the meet to another track. But not until after this weekend. WTF happens if another horse breaks down on the main track?

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Honest question from someone who is violently allergic to horses:

What can a track do to preserve the safety of horses? I thought the crux of the problem was shitty breeding and unscrupulous trainers.

8. Inky_Wretch

What they are trying to do is hit the perfect balance of softness and firmness with the track. Too far either way and you get broken ankles which is a death sentence for a horse.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Two days before the race … if the air quality holds up. What a weird time to like horse racing.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In NYC anyway right now I can see the sky and the air quality was in the 50s this morning so seems like things are really improving.

Dumb question from someone who knows nothing about horse racing. How does Secretariat still hold all the records in each Triple Crown? I'd have thought medicine/training/evolution would have led to improvements over the decades. I always get into it with a buddy about whether great athletes from the past could compete today and he's always talking about those things: today's athletes are so much better because of training/medicine/evolution. I always say greats from any era could compete in every other era so I jokingly told him proof of that comes with Secretariat still being the fastest horse even 50 years later (hey, if SportsCentury can put a horse on its greatest athletes list, I can use it when I need to). But it did make me wonder how those records have lasted so damn long. Was it just the giant heart or has there been something done with the breeding/training that makes it where horses can't go that fast these days? I'll hang up and listen.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It's the heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted