1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My issue with a walkout is that local guild leadership may be getting members' hopes up.

This is not going to do anything. Mike Reed will laugh his ass off and that's that.

PaperDoll likes this.
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There are some journo students who will take a semester off and work for $12/hour. Cheap labor always >>>>>> experience

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't pay the bills as it is.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Most fast food places these days will pay more than a lot of Gannett journos just for line workers.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Someone up the chain is seeing this today and thinking, "Huh. They walked out, little to nothing changed, and we're still here. Why do we even need them?"

Some others probably are thinking, "They did what? How many? Oh. OK. Whatever."

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Update out of Indy:

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wonder how many/what percentage of sites are participating in the walkout today.

Asked a former co-worker at our local shop about it, and was told, "Nah, we ain't bothering with that shit. It won't make a difference."

Which I guess is sad, but I salute the self-awareness involved.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Writing the story and doing the work, but not putting on a byline. OK. More symbolic stuff.

Gannett's brass knows they have the staff bent over like Marsellus in Pulp Fiction, but Butch ain't coming in to save the day.

(edited b/c I had my cringy rapey scene characters incorrect)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    JM22720, wicked, Batman and 1 other person like this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Butch saved the day.

Zed’s dead, baby. Zed’s dead.

SixToe likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The time for this was 15 years ago, when GateHouse papers were still at OK staffing levels and people still looked at them as viable assets.

Draft saved Draft deleted