1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

5 for 5!

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

With a walk. Watching him play three years in college was a real treat. His record of 18 hits in a single CWS might not ever be equaled or broken.

FileNotFound and Cosmo like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With Pete Alonso on first base and another Met on third, Jeff McNeil fouled the first pitch down the first base line. Then was assessed a second strike because the clock started before Alonso made it back to first and McNeil wasn’t set in the box.

But McNeil hit a seeing-eye grounder through second to drive in the run, so, for this time at least, an automatic strike didn’t kill the at-bat.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Future trivia: First pitch clock violation was on Marcus Stroman.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Nice for the Tigers to suck in 2:14 instead of three hours plus

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Andrew Vaughn comes through and the White Sox finally get a hit with runners on base.

Up 3-1 in Houston heading to the bottom of the ninth … where the bullpen adventure begins.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, by game time it was cloudy and in the low 40s, so they could have played, but it would have been a dark, dank day. Almost as dark and dank as it was in Tampa.
    Weekend forecast is for cloudy and mid-upper 40s Saturday, then sunny and mid 50s Sunday, so actually it would have been a better-than-normal opening weekend.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the weather was in Tampa today, but it was breezy with a high of 83 today in St. Petersburg.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the perpetual forecast for the Tampa dome is 72 degrees and dark and dank.

Actually the one time I was there, for a Final Four, I'd have guessed it was 60-65 degrees inside the dome. It definitely felt chilly and drafty, for basketball at least.

On our off days we went to a baseball game in Lakeland and an afternoon tour of the Kennedy Space Center, and it was 80-some degrees.

As far as what MLB can do about cold weather openers, I don't really think there's much they can do. You can't load up all the dome teams or warm weather teams with home games early because that gives them an on field advantage which eventually would show up in the standings. Plus the dome teams don't want to waste a lot of home games in low attendance April dates.

One thing that baseball has definitely fucked up is that they haven't pushed harder for retractable dome stadiums in the major markets, ie New York and Chicago. It really makes no sense whatsoever the Mets and White Sox do not play in retractable dome stadiums.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

*St. Petersburg

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Angels-A's through 6 in less than 90 minutes. Granted, it's 1-0, but still ...

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Loving the new speedup rules. O's-Red Sox, 10-9, 26 hits, full nine innings, all in 3:10. Last year that easily a 3:45 game. Twins-Royals, 2:32.

Even the M's game is in the 8th and it's not two hours old. The players are gonna ask themselves why this didn't happen 10 years ago. Who doesn't like getting off work 35 minutes early every day?

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted