1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Times story on "the California newspaper that has no reporters left"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Mar 27, 2023.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That sounds like it was during the timeframe in which you had to group all of the stories, headlines, photos, cutlines, breakouts, etc., in a very specific way on the Quark page before uploading it to the web, or else everything would just go live in completely random order and grouping.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was something like that. We also had to go in folders and bring out these various tags for different categories (pro football, high school basketball, etc.), put them on the side of the page and group them so that the web page techs would know how to load the stories. Of course, eventually, they figured out a way for us to load the stories.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

BANG would be best suited to fill the gap since they already own the Monterey Herald. Add, say, one reporter to handle government, cops, etc. and a sports stringer (although John Devine does a great job there). But, like I said, it's BANG.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I remember my shop in the mid-2000s getting a system that had a time delay for uploading stories to the homepage. Oooo, fancy!

“Just put the stories in this folder, set the time for 7 a.m. (after subscribers get their paper) and they’ll automatically upload at the right time.”

Except when our system crashed at some point overnight, which it often did, and the clock reset to midnight …

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

BANG has done that in Northern Colorado. They bought Greeley a couple years ago and basically combined them with half dozen other papers they owned north of Denver. I wonder why they do not now in Salinas.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The publisher of the Herald and Santa Cruz Sentinel comes through my line occasionally (full disclosure: I string for the Sentinel in sports when time allows), so may ask. Another group that could fill the gap is Weeklys, which is anchored by Good Times, a nice weekly based in Santa Cruz which has added some longform local stories to its comprehensive local entertainment coverage. They've also scooped up a lot of smaller weeklies in the Central Coast area (Santa Cruz, San Benito and Monterey counties) over the last few years, most notably the Register-Pajaronian in Watsonville.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted