1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022-23 college basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 25, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The scuttlebutt around Providence is that Cooley might have first met with Georgetown in late February, which correlates with the swoon the team had. I'm not sure if I buy it entirely, because even if you are leaving, its not like you want yet another first round NCAA loss on your resume. But locally, Cooley has handled it about as badly as you could. He gave an interview last night that was basically "I'm gone" without coming out and saying it, and this morning, the real estate listing for his house was making the way around the Internet for hours before he finally resigned to take the Georgetown job.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tobin Anderson of FDU would be perfect for Iona. Get him now before another good season ups the ante.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I understand six million per year

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I posted when he announced he was leaving Notre Dame -- his son and grandkids live in Florida. The big three in Florida are not an option, so this is a nice way to have best of both worlds.

wicked likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Or before another bigger school grabs him. That guy is a superstar. And frankly, better than Iona in every way (Iona doesn't have what you would call scruples).

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I still can't fucking believe Rothstein doxxed the guy this morning. Rothstein is something else. Never off, and not in a good way.

7. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Well yeah, it's a great deal for Cooley. According to the USA Today list of D1 coaches' salaries, I'm pretty sure he's now in the top 10 nationally in terms of pay.

Which isn't bad for a guy whose teams have been one-and-done in 5 of 7 NCAA tournament appearances (and one of the losses was in the First Four).

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Georgetown is paying $6,000,000/year? Guess a booster is coming out of the woodwork.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So what’s Georgetown’s plan gonna be when Cooley High Harmony is no better than the rest?

wicked likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I want him at Canisius. But that ship ain't sailing because they won't fire the current guy with a year left on his contract.

11. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Bidding against no one but themselves, they gave Ewing a contract extension after one very lucky NCAA tournament berth (that ended with the Hoyas getting absolutely poleaxed by Colorado in the first round). Clearly, long-term thinking or foresight isn't exactly a strong suit on the Hilltop. I eagerly await the next restart, because I'm not sure Cooley is it there.

BitterYoungMatador2 and wicked like this.
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Shrews and am still a little bitter, especially in hindsight, that Butler didn't hire him when he and LaVall Jordan were the finalists in 2017. Of course, had that happened he probably would have already been plucked by a school that could outbid Butler.

This is fully his team, in my opinion. Lundy and Dread were the only holdovers from Chambers who were in the rotation. He's done really well in the transfer portal, and has another quality freshmen class coming in next year, too.

PSU would be foolish to let him walk. Knowing him just a little bit - we've had overlap in our friend circles since high school - I also think PSU giving him his first shot at a head coaching gig means something to him.

wicked and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted