1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seems to me the Arkansas law allows for more hours worked in more extreme settings than NJ.

Maybe you can explain to us why you think taking more children out of school and putting them into the minimum-wage workforce is a good idea.

I mean, we've been through this, right?

9_lewis-hine_child-labor_7496284364_8aebbb279e_o.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Some parents say ...

OscarMadison and Smallpotatoes like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That now requires a Kevlar vest, a pair of earplugs and a doctorate in the psychology of helicopter parents.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They’d have to get near the heart of Gomorrah — a.k.a. Nordstrom Rack.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My first job at 16 was delivering drugs from the pharmacy.

At 14 and 15 I was being 14 and 15.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, but news of that law in New Jersey didn’t reach me in the Ozarks. If it had, I’d have wholeheartedly condemned it as well.

Do you really think having teens who are too young to get a driver’s license should be working industrial jobs? Or should be allowed to work 40-hours per week during school sessions? Or allowed to stay out past curfew because they are on third shift?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One thing that gets lost on people in these discussions. ... Nobody ever wanted children working in coal mines. It's not like 120 years ago, people were like, "This is a good thing."

Children worked out of necessity. If those kids didn't work, they didn't eat. Their families might not eat. A lot of people in the U.S. were dirt poor.

Leglislation doesn't magically change those kinds of realities. The reason child labor lessened to such an extent in this country wasn't because people suddenly became more enlightened. ... or because someone passed a law saying, "Don't do that." It was the enormous wealth that was created in this country last century that made it so that children didn't have to work and could stay in school and do all the things that people always want for children.

The fact that there has been an uptick in child labor in recent years is indicative of a country where an underclass (with economic distress) is growing. It doesn't matter what laws Arkansas passes. If we hadn't have created such a mess of ourselves economically, you wouldn't see so many teens working long shifts in industrial jobs.

And the result of laws that got rid of working papers, etc. would actually be that kids could have paper routes and jobs at McDonald's -- which can be very beneficial to them and to the rest of us -- without a state government being involved.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Mining companies wanted children working in mines. That’s why they paid them (a little).

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They paid them (a little) because that is what it took to get their labor. We all look at those pictures and it's sad. My point was that it was sad back then, too. The reasons it was happening weren't along the lines of simplistic narratives people have today. It wasn't because people were less enlightened, or that we just didn't have enough regulation. ... or that people who owned coal mines were forcing kids to work for little pay. Those photos kind of show the economic reality of much of the history of the world. ... and the thing that changed was that we became much wealthier, not that we somehow magically legislated reality away.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was working as a scorekeeper – or working the clock – for intramural basketball, volleyball and softball games on base when I was 14.

Knowing how to keep a scorebook proved invaluable when on assignments for basketball, baseball and softball years later.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Textile mills wanted children working so they could fit their tiny hands in the machinery and dig out the thread that had jammed. Oh, and so they could pay them a pittance and break the back of any unionization effort.

The capitalist class didn’t give workers their rights out of generosity but out of fear. It is time to make them fear again.

Draft saved Draft deleted