1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Moses Malone?
    I seem to remember Terry Pluto's ABA book diving into that mess, and how he got passed around a bit because at least one team couldn't afford him. And teams were always folding left and right in the ABA.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Understood. I’ll guess Bob Cousy for one. There were a bunch of BAA/NBL/NBA teams that went defunct early on.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Moses got drafted and played right out of high school. Things got crazy when the ABA folded and he was shuffled to (I think) three different NBA teams in one offseason before landing in Houston.

As for the question, does Dan Marino being the first USFL draft pick count?

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I would take usfl picks, but since he went straight to the dolphins, the answer is not him.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Interesting guess, and that is why I think this may become crowd sourced. The early nba drafts are somewhat of a mystery to me. As are the aafc drafts in football.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Marino was drafted by the LA Express and attended a fan fest on his way to the Hawaii for the 1983 Hula Bowl.

I have two memories of that day, which I covered for my college radio station. I interviewed Marino but messed up the recording. We had one-button and two-button tape recorders and I one-touched a two-touch machine, so I had no sound to air.

My day got better, however when the prettiest girl from high school, who was trying out for the cheerleading team, recognized me and sought me out to say hi.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Priorities.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You left out the important part. Was she a one-touch or two-touch, and did you get that one right?

CD Boogie, I Should Coco and MTM like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I keep thinking it was one of those guys drafted by the Minneapolis AFL team, but I have no idea who it could be and what team also could have drafted him and folded. Perhaps a team in another sport?

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Was one NHL and one WHA?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who has the most home runs of all MLB players whose first name starts with the letter U?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I recently saw this list but don't remember. It's not Ugueth Urbina.

Damn, Uggy:
    Ugueth Urtaín Urbina Villarreal (/uːˈɡɛt ʊərˈbiːnə/; born February 15, 1974) is a Venezuelan former relief pitcher in Major League Baseball. A two-time All-Star, Urbina led the National League in saves with 41 in the 1999 season and helped the Florida Marlins win the 2003 World Series. He is the only player in major league history with the initials "UU" or "UUU".[1] His baseball career was cut short after the 2005 season, as he was arrested by Venezuelan authorities for attempted murder, for which he served seven years in prison.

Draft saved Draft deleted