1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For the younger posters - see, there was this song, by this german chick named Nena....it had a pretty cool bass lick - anyway it was a big hit.

Growing up it seemed like every third top 10 hit was political in some way - now none of them are.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

U.P. threadjack! (I've probably lost count at the number of times I've heard this song while a Zamboni quietly circled below me.)

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All this is about going after blue Nashville because it didn't want the RNC, citing cost and potential security hassles.
    Since the start of the year, the super majority red General Assembly has introduced bills to slash the number of people metro Nashville can have on its city council from 40 to 20 (meaning the largest city in the state would have less representation than most podunk county commissions), slash tourism tax incentives the city gets, seize control of the airport, Nissan Stadium, Bridgestone Arena, and the Music City Convention Center, and now this.
    And of course none of this is coming from legislators from anywhere near there. It's being introduced by Rs from the sticks.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Would any city want to host a Republican convention after January 6? The security costs
    must be through the roof.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nashville outlined that specifically. They laid out exact concerns about the cost of hosting it would outweigh the gain even if trouble didn't break out, which it likely would.
    Here's the response:
    “Over the last year, Metro has made it clear they are no longer interested in aggressively recruiting top-tier conventions to Nashville. That message has been received loud and clear by the General Assembly,” said Lt. Gov. Randy McNally regarding Metro leaders. “If Nashville wants to prioritize political posturing over prosperity for its people, that’s their prerogative. But the state does not have to participate.”

There is nothing top-tier about the RNC. It's all about having easy access to worship at the altar of Cheeto Jesus.
    I may be not remembering it exactly correct, but I believe the city said they weren't interested in hosting from the start, but the state General Assembly said, "That's OK. We'll put in your bid for you."
    You know, limited government and local control and all.

HanSenSE, OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even if there was no extra dread of street violence, Nashville wouldn’t want a political convention because it is already booked to the gills every summer. A political convention would mean not only shutting down the city for that week, but severely hampering normal business for at least a couple of weeks beforehand while the Secret Service and the rest of the security detail puts in the infrastructure needed.

But you know, better to put on a show that you’re cracking down on those godless libs to tickle the fancies of the MAGA morons back home in Sweetwater and Waynesboro, many of whom still resent that they can’t open up with buckshot on their new neighbors from California who keep jacking up land prices.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess the letter of the day was P. No wonder he likes Trump.

Draft saved Draft deleted