1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cindy Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 30, 2023.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Clint will forever be "Gentle Ben" to me (check it out somewhere). I didn't know he was Opie's brother for the longest time.

micropolitan guy, garrow and maumann like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I just picked up "The Boys," the biography of the Howard brothers and their family, at my local library. Greatly looking forward to reading it.

From what I have read over the years, Ron Howard is proof you can be a major star in Hollywood while not being a major asshole.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I only know him a weird looking, lonely alien on an old Star Trek episode.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

For the record, Clint did play the guy running a droid fighting pit in Solo.

maumann likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Seems to be true, but I've always found it a little creepy that his kids' middle names are where they were conceived--the cities, in his cases. Which I guess probably creeps me out b/c our town isn't a very good middle name and we now live one floor down from where we lived when we had our daughter, so I guess her Howard-ized middle name would be Upstairs. :D

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

He and Henry Winkler, who also seems like a good guy, are still great friends all these years after Happy Days.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You think about how that situation played out, with Howard's role being eclipsed by Winkler - and Garry Marshall coming to him to talk about it and being cool with it. Winkler seems to be beloved by everyone he's done anything with. Though I never quite understood why he wore a leather jacket to jump the shark.

maumann likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

HAHAHA holy shit I posted on that thread! And said I was freaked out by Howard naming his kids after where they were conceived! And I said my daughter was conceived upstairs! Why am I using so many exclamation points! Anyway that's a great job of TSP-esque digging.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God almighty would that lead to some awkwardness with my daughter’s name. Not the location, but the circumstances. Just, oof.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kinda puts the scene in Four Christmases into perspective re: named after the city you were born in.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think it was on Leno. Ron Howard said his kids' middle names came from where they were conceived. He has two kids whose middle names are Essex. He said he happened to be filming in Houston and they were staying at the Essex Hotel. Leno said, it that was the case for him, his kids middle name would be Volvo.

Draft saved Draft deleted