1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

poindexter likes this.
  2. Webster

The fact that he celebrated like he made contact was hilarious

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Berhalter should have replied,

"Only Lebron James has that kind of power. Next question."

Webster and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Webster

We need a goal early tomorrow. Or else Algeria 2014 vibes.

Roscablo and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I played growing up and was all-conference in college. I can't watch as much soccer as I'd like, so I stick with the ones that are easy to see and that's English and Scottish matches on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had a small interest in the Premier League for a long time but struggled to get into it because I didn't have any real rooting interest. Sat with some English folks in town after the 2018 World Cup and decided it was time to actually pick a club to support. My caveat -- no big six club for me. So we talked it through and I settled on Watford, which has been a weird ride because the ownership is so damn dysfunctional. But I've been to a few matches over there, and the supporters were pretty cool about embracing a rando American jumping on board. I plan on attending another match in March when I head back over.

As for MLS, I'm really happy to see its growth in the U.S., but it's still a far inferior league talent-wise to anything in Europe. I think the MLS champ would struggle to stay near the top of the table in the EFL Championship, for instance. But MLS has stoked a lot of passion in its markets, and that's great for the continual building of the game here. Hell, even our little USL League One team in town was drawing 5,000 a night by the end of the season this year. Granted, they won the regular season and were an entertaining watch. I'll renew my season tickets for next year here soon.

Won't be able to watch today (work obligations), but to the point made earlier in this thread, the Americans desperately need an early goal. The longer it goes on at 0-0, the easier it will be for Iran to park the bus and grind for the draw. It's certainly the way I would play it if I was them.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can we assume that music has plenty of ... bite?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

boo this man

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Sam Mills 51

You take that back or Suarez will bite you.

11. Sam Mills 51

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I just stuck my toe out and the entire Argintina team started grabbing their faces and I got away

Draft saved Draft deleted