1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022-23 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah. The generation of first, not right.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s also just the times. Things move at warp speed now. A guy boards a private jet and in 45 minutes they hammer out a deal. In this case the scenario was plausible but also a bit preposterous, so that doesn’t apply.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sokoloff may have stumbled on the right info and caused Kiffin to back away. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it was an asshole move of Kiffin to throw him under the bus to cover his own ass.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm on a search committee for a faculty position at a major university. It takes months for us to hire someone to fill this position that pays less than $100,000 a year. But a job that pays $5 million a year (or more) can be filled in a few days. I find that...interesting.

wicked and Liut like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Big-school football budgets are privately funded. Cuts through the bureaucracy, or at least one kind of it.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not just that, but a $5 million a year position with its own tenure system (in the form of buyouts, self-renewing clauses and forced extensions) and where there is a 70 percent chance that whoever you hire will be bad at the job and get fired within five years.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Counterpoint: Sokoloff made a ridiculous tweet and I don't blame Kiffin in the slightest for lighting him up over it.

If Sokoloff thought his sourcing was so solid, say something like "Kiffin and Auburn are in talks and a deal could be announced by the end of the week."

The tweet claiming there would be a news conference in five days in which Kiffin would resign to take a job he had not been offered -- and to cap it off with "it's happening!" -- just makes Sokoloff look like a clown. Don't try to predict the future, particularly when it makes no sense.

Dude needs to just take the "L" and shut up. Defending his tweet makes him look silly.

FileNotFound, Chef2, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Disagree. The story posted online was so thin that it couldn’t have had more than one source. And in a story of that magnitude in that area, if you’ve got one, you’ve got none.
    I always wonder if a lesser outlet “breaks” a story and nobody else confirms.

wicked likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's also worth noting that this story gained traction when some paid-by-clicks blogger at SI.com picked up on it and gave it some credence solely because of their platform.
    The SI report had nothing new. It merely rehashed the same tweet and added a couple of snarky comments. But because people saw it on the SI platform, it gave unwarranted credibility to a paper thin story.

wicked and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For the most part he's been damn good at Oregon. Would be bummed to lose him, but I figured someone will hire him this off-season.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The big 10 west is so mediocre that Rhule can walk in there and win the division year one. He’ll get a handful of transfers

5 of the 8 losses were seven points or less.

this isn’t a disaster like Colorado

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted