1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Got my tickets for all three nights of the Hold Steady's 2023 Weekender in London in March. Totally worth the 5 a.m. wakeup to catch the presale. The Sunday show will be in a venue that holds like 250 people and it sold out in about three minutes. Learned my lesson from last year and bought that one first. The Friday/Saturday shows are in a much larger venue and tickets are way easier to come by. The Sunday night show this year was insanely good, and I was lucky enough to run into a good Irish fellow who had one to spare. No need for that this time.

3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

We enjoyed a concert by DeVotchKa last night in a small local venue. When we got seated we saw at least 15 instruments scattered about on the state, including a sousaphone and a theremin. All of them got a workout.
    They're what I'd consider an art rock band; Wikipedia defines them as Gypsy punk. Either way, they had the crowd on its feet last night.
    Here they are performing before a bigger audience several years ago.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being the parent of a teenage girl, I was sucked into the Ticketmaster fiasco today for Taylor Swift tickets. Yet, five hours after the presale began and Ticketmaster died and then came back to life, my kid amazingly had four tickets and I had two. I put mine on Stubhub and they were gone by dinnertime; my kid politely told me to not stick it to a "Swiftie" too much since they were all going full-FOMO today. The kid will take three friends and have the time of her life.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    DanielSimpsonDay and UNCGrad like this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    live look @playthrough

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Off to see the great Robert Cray at the theatre 10 minutes from my place tonight. Been probably 30 years since I last saw him.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Show was postponed because Cray was stuck in Buffalo!

8. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I have four for the first night at CitiField, will probably get tickets for the second night, too. I've also got four for Springsteen at Belmont Park on 4/13.

The last show I saw was Robert Earl Keen at Irving Plaza. He was great as always, though he was definitely struggling physically. The recent Texas Monthly piece revealed that he woke up that morning with Bell's Palsy.

Full piece here: Bus Fires, Voodoo Candles, and Rodeo Legends: Inside Robert Earl Keen’s Epic Final Tour

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I bought my daughter tickets for Backseat Lovers in Austin in May. I got online about noon the day they went on sale and landed seventh row seats.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just snagged a ticket for The Hold Steady in D.C. on Feb. 3. Then I'll see them three more times in London in March. I've always dreamed of a unified scene...

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Old Crow Medicine Show is in town Saturday night and I was pumped to see them for the first time. But the venue is standing only, and I’m not sure that’s the scene for a 47-year-old rheumatoid patient. Still mulling it over.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I may have brought this up before, so apologies if so, but since I just bought a ticket, wanted to run it by the thread:

What do you think about going to a concert by yourself? Have you done that? Good experience?

I actually haven't, but likely will now in March. It'll be a smallish club show (maybe 500 people?), band is White Reaper, and I'm in my 40s. Bought a single ticket, and while I usually see shows with a friend or two, this one will probably be on my own. Kinda looking forward to it.

Anyway, thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted