1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Coolio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Saw Stevie at the Detroit 300th anniversary concert
    Played for three hours
    Fantastic
    As merging into Another Star might be the best 20 minutes of music ever recorded

garrow likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the word "genius" gets thrown around pretty loosely. I would reserve it for those whose talent seems almost inexplicable, on a level above the very best.

In modern music, I think there are two people who are (or were) just flat-out geniuses: Miles Davis and Stevie Wonder. I won't argue with anyone who wants to make a case for Prince.

Stevie's run from "Music of My Mind" through "Songs in the Key of Life" is just absurd.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It was that kind of run:

In 1976, when Paul Simon won the Album of the Year Grammy for his Still Crazy After All These Years, he wryly noted, "I'd like to thank Stevie Wonder, who didn't make an album this year."

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And then Stevie won it the following year.

maumann likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Stevie was among my top three concerts
    He’s in there with the Neville Brothers at House of Blues in New Orleans during Jazz Fest
    No.1 is CSNY in Toronto w/the Band and Jessie Colin Young

garrow likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It is worth adding that there are many songs/albums where Stevie played all the instruments, or all but one or two.

I have never seen him live, and I dearly hope to get the chance. Genius. Period.

7. Jake from State Farm

Music of my Mind was all Stevie except for a trombone solo

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I “saw” Stevie at Live 8 in 2005.

The reason “saw” is in quotes is because my dumb ex-wife wanted to leave our sweet vantage point of the previous eight hours and head back to the train right before he came on.

It took us pretty much his whole set to fight through the crowds on the Ben Franklin Parkway, so I managed to catch the whole thing on the giant screens they had erected everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted