1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random Thoughts the Third

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jun 27, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How in the HELL did this song ever become the "anthem" of the Jerry Lewis Telethon - the kids are in wheelchairs man.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dear Vehicle Manufacturer,

Did it EVER dawn on you to – prior to inundating customers with recalls via snail mail and email – to actually send parts to the dealerships so that when people make appointments to get recall work done, they could actually get the work done?

I set up an appointment for a silly switch – not a fire hazard and not something that will mechanically compromise the vehicle or leave the driver stranded on the side of the road – then drove through significant rain and wind after work to have it done. Thirty minutes later, the service advisor tells me they have neither the switch nor the special tool that helps install the switch. Worth noting that when I set up the appointment 24 hours earlier, I asked if they had the part in stock. In this era of computerized inventory and the magical ability for parties to communicate within a dealership, there was no affirmative answer. Also worth noting that my vehicle is not THAT uncommon ... there were certainly others who will come by because of the manufacturer recall.

Please get your sh_t together. And until then, stop with the mail and email. I held up my end of the bargain. You didn't.

Sincerely,
    An unhappy customer

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The tweet is funny.

The visual of Lucy in her dressing room horking gaggers to get jacked for this scene is even more amusing.

4. Songbird

Susan Alexandra Weaver was born in New York City on October 8, 1949.[7] Her mother, Elizabeth Inglis (born Desiree Mary Lucy Hawkins), was an English actress and a native of Colchester, England.[8] Weaver's father, Sylvester "Pat" Weaver Jr., was an American television executive born in Los Angeles, who served as president of NBC between 1953 and 1955 and created NBC's Today Show in 1952.[9][10] Pat's brother, Winstead "Doodles" Weaver, was a comedian and contributor to Mad.[11] Her father's American family was of Dutch, English, Scots-Irish, and Scottish ancestry.[12][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigourney_Weaver

The socials say it was Sigourney's 73rd birthday yesterday.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I had no idea that Doodles Weaver was Sigourney’s uncle.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Peak music performance from Doodles Weaver was calling an epic horse race ...

maumann likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just found out that a childhood friend wrote a series of YA books that got published and a recurring character was based on me. I’m weirded out to even read them. How do you deal with a fictional character based on you and how a person you haven’t seen in 20 years remembers you as a teenager?

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. Songbird

So much for ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ummmm, ESPN…Maybe don’t put White and Power next to each other…

E8DA0DD5-BEDB-430C-969D-83F96FA44D45.jpeg

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A guy I knew from 4th grade through high school is now a published horror/sci-fi writer. He was the weird, sometimes bullied kid in school, and though I certainly wasn’t any sort of ringleader of the abuse my hands probably aren’t as clean as I would like. I have wondered if I would recognize anyone in his writing, but I’m not about to find out.

(Unrelated note: there is a mystery/thriller that was a big bestseller and a major motion picture and the murderer has my not-terribly-common name, first and last. Kind of freaked out my mom when she read it.)

maumann and Hermes like this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Watching Reno 911 is a cure for hating life m

garrow likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s rare that the brand that is the first you think of for a product is bad.

Daisy brand sour cream sucks. And it’s the brand you think if when you think of sour cream.

Draft saved Draft deleted