1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It was God who created the multitude of languages as punishment to mankind for the Tower of Babel. Since God is Jesus, it would be odd if Jesus couldn’t speak every language since Jesus is uncover boss.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson: “My next guest is a North Carolina sheriff who could lose his job, thanks to the woke mob.”

sgreenwell, garrow and tapintoamerica like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He won't lose his job, of course. He'll win the election and his klan's super majorities (or close to them) in both houses of the legislature will protect him.
    One thing the story doesn't explain is why obstruction of justice in particular is being alleged or investigated. Is it the firing of the Black officers? Or something else?

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Columbus County is 63 percent white, 30 percent Black, 6 percent Hispanic. Included in its 50,000 residents are some 2,500 inmates. It's lost 13 percent of its population since 2010.

Nearly one out of every four people in Columbus County lives in poverty. That's 85th of the 100 counties in North Carolina. The two worst on the list, nearby Robeson and Scotland counties, are nearly 3 in 10.

EDIT: Some more facts. According the U.S. News and World Report, Whiteville High School is 53 percent minority, with 99 percent of students economically disadvantaged (and receiving free lunches). It's the 337th ranked high school in North Carolina, out of 672 listed.

And the county seat is WHITEville.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  6. heyabbott

CrackerNation

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The only way this could have been less surprising is if it had come out of Robeson County. And there, the racial issues are three way among whites, Blacks and Native Americans.

Also worth noting that the legal complaint at the bottom of the link came from a law firm in Tabor City, which is in Columbus County. They didn't seek help outside the county.

Last set foot in that county 20 years ago on a sports assignment. Could not wait to get out of there right after the game finished.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just asking questions.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know, we got a sweet deal on a couple of night stands at a furniture outlet in Whiteville once.

10. heyabbott

Are the ratios different at other nonHBCU state schools? Private schools?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm familiar with someone who came from Whiteville. School days. One of the nicest people I know. But Columbus County is not exactly covering itself in glory with this sheriff.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

No, not at all. I actually saw this story mid week, and my first thought was "holy shit."
    I also thought that it would serve them right if every black person that this guy put in jail filed a motion to reopen their case.

Draft saved Draft deleted