1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the pitch clock next year. And for the reactions of some who will get all bent out of shape - when the ump starts calling automatic balls and strikes - about a rule change that should have happened 20 years ago.

Hermes likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Anyone here ever watch this doc called The Cuban Dream?

You have to watch it on Vimeo's page.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe Pirates' fans have finally wised up.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reports out there that both the Yankees and Red Sox were fine with ending the game because they had late travel for Monday’s games. But ESPN supposedly was pushing for the game to continue because of Judge. So the Yankees apparently threatened to bench Judge and some other guys because of fear of injury on the wet field and ESPN relented.

I Should Coco and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

How many more jacks would Pujols have had if he'd stayed and played in New Busch?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I am sure people around here will fully agree with this.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What can I say? The National League home run leader, Schwarber, bats leadoff for the Phillies, too, despite a batting average under .220. They've had a pretty good year, too. Clearly there's a data point inside baseball that escapes me, but must have come validity to it.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well if you're up first you have the best chance of getting the most at-bats. I don't think it's more complicated than that: give your best hitter the most opportunities to hit.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He also leads the league in OBP at .422, which happens to be about 100 points higher than any Yankee not named Rizzo. So in the 600 ABs when he doesn't hit a home run, he's putting pressure on the other team by getting on base.

Rizzo (OBP .340) is the only other Yankee regular with an OBP north of about .320, so it makes some sense to try to give yourself a chance to put someone on base right away. The counter point, of course, is that maybe if Judge were looming behind Rizzo or Torres, or whomever, they'd get some better pitches to hit because pitchers won't want to walk them ahead of Judge.

Both approaches have merit.

Hermes likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I always prefer the power guy hitting second, just to avoid first inning power being wasted (sequencing matters!) and hitting your best OBP guy first, but in this case there’s no real candidate other than Rizzo to lead off.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bonds would have been the best leadoff hitter of all time.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe if he had gone the clean route, though Henderson was tough to beat. He didn't have as much power, but he was more disruptive on the basepaths.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted