1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Louise Fletcher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by matt_garth, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

RIP.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Another movie that held up to or surpassed the book, which is amazing in its own right.

3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Best part about that clip is nearly-unrecognizable Christopher Lloyd and nearly-unrecognizable Danny DeVito.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The first few looks of confusion that DeVito gives Nicholson as things are ratcheting up are pure gold.

OscarMadison, maumann and BartonK like this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was difficult to see her as anything but a villain after that. UPChip posted the clip of her character's death in Deep Space 9. Fletcher played Kai Winn Adami as a ruthless, manipulative religious leader who was driven more by politics and power than faith. It was political commentary that absolutely holds up today and she played it well.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Cuckoo's Nest, but I loved her work in Canadian Bacon.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I disagree on Landa, actually. Waltz was pretty damned good in Django, too, and his character was plenty memorable.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Vincent Schiavelli was in that scene, too.

The current pictures of the cast are less recognizable. Lloyd looks like he could be Alton Brown's dad.

buckaroo banzai - Google Search

Edited to add: Well, that was interesting. I couldn't remember Schiavelli's name and a search for his book on Italian home cooking brought up nothing, so I had to think of something else he'd been in. Here is the cast of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest:

one flew over the cuckoo's nest cast - Google Search

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Songbird likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Great book, great movie.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Ghost." The subway. Great scene. Schiavelli at his best.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Great writing and great acting. People who create word masks for others to wear live for actors like that. He was also a James Beard Award winner for his newspaper features. If you find a copy of Many Beautiful Things, snap it up.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Great speech. Short, funny, poignant at times and to the point.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted