1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This headline drives me up a wall.
    It implies that the organization as a whole paid a price for the scandal. That didn't happen. The players all sucked and the team won the World Series in 2021 and is a threat to repeat. The only people who paid a price were the administrators.
    As for the text of the story, it neglects to tell us when the scandal broke. Not a trivial detail.

dixiehack and maumann like this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Giants fans, what do @maumann and I need to know?

maumann likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2019, 2020 and 2022 SF Giants roster and record.

But the dude was basically anonymous with Farhan there but still

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing going on in Milwaukee.

But Scherzer out after 67 pitches and 6 perfect innings.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  5. tapintoamerica

Mets TV just applied the jinx.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Tyler Alexander got through six no-hit innings in Baltimore, which forced me to find the password for the MLB TV subscription that I've ignored since May. Tigers up, 11-0 in the bottom of the ninth.

Scott Harris already has a better win-loss record than Al Avila.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Um, maybe removing Scherzer from the game "applied the jinx," no? Also, once Scherzer was out, there was nothing left to jinx.

8. tapintoamerica

Well, they did reference the collective (five-pitcher) no-hitter earlier this season. Did not reference any perfections.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry that post came across so snotty toward you. It was more directed at the Mets broadcast. I hate that the media and MLB are trying to sell us this bullshit combined no-hitter crap. They know that the no-hitter/perfect game is going the way of the dodo because of how they are using pitchers these days, so they're trying to gin up fan interest in "combined no-hitters."

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is the same team that Jonathan Papelbon pitched for. ... in a kilt. If it was anyone except Bill Lee, I'd say, "Have some dignity, man."

I'm glad he is OK.

The guy looks like he's having fun, and I know he isn't hurting anyone, but he has always bugged me so much.

One of my most enduring memories as a kid is of the brawl in 1976 between the Yankees and Red Sox. Lou Piniella barrelled into Carlton Fisk on a play at the plate. The benches cleared. Graig Nettles made a beeline (there was history) for Lee and threw him to the ground. Lee had a separated shoulder, that didn't end his career, but it was the beginning of the end. Lee got up and walked around the outside of the crowd with his arm loosley hanging, looking for Nettles as things calmed down, then started yelling at him. ... and Nettles popped him in the face, adding insult to the injury.

Ah, good times.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bill Lee walked out on the Expos when they released Rodney Scott, who was a good friend. From Wiki:

His professional career ended in 1982, when he was released by the Expos after staging a one-game walkout as a protest over Montreal's decision to release second baseman and friend Rodney Scott.

Draft saved Draft deleted