1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Some lady shopping at the Bed Bath and Beyond across the street is currently running seventh.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Casual fans taking a glance at the leaderboard for the last 10 laps:

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That was fun. Maybe they should do that more often.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

ICYMI, this was the Big One that caused the red flag and left 10 cars on the lead lap at the end. Apparently everything went to hell because there was rain in the turn and they hit it at 180 mph.
    Good job, NASCAR. Maybe when they go to Talladega they can throw some banana peels on the track, Mario Kart style.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The lap before there was no rain. A half lap before, there was no rain.

What would you have them do? It hit the track in Turn 2 right as the cars got into Turn 2.

wicked likes this.
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Good luck gettin' through post-race tech ... :)

maumann likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've got to believe there was a lot of "ah, fuck it" in that tech line. Lord knows you're not making the template with your tow hanging out and your front end caved in a foot.

maumann likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You can blame NASCAR for a lot, but not that. It’s not like Kyle Busch at New Hampshire when everyone knew the track was wet, it was like the 2001 Winston. I admire them sticking it out and finishing the race, even if there were just 10 cars on the lead lap. Nice save by Austin Cindric when he got the chrome horn, by the way.

maumann likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

People don't realize how damn big Daytona and Talladega are. It's about a mile as the crow flies from Turn 2 to Turn 4 at Talladega.

SixToe, Driftwood, dixiehack and 3 others like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They had a soccer match at Daytona over the July 4 weekend. On the infield. In the front stretch. I don’t think the pitch covered the whole front stretch infield. If you looked at it from above it looked like an ant among cats.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

DEI teams were testing at Iowa Speedway in late summer 2007, as the then-new track was seen as the closest to Richmond, at the time the regular season finale. Dale Jr. had already announced by this point he would be leaving DEI to join Hendrick. Myself and a few other Iowa media people hung out at the track most of the day waiting for a chance to talk with Jr. At one point we were told by the track PR people they were working to make Jr. available, but in the meantime we could talk to teammate Paul Menard. Yeah, real close substitution. Only a couple of us took them up on the offer. At the end of the day no one got to talk to Jr., so only the two of us had anything...from Paul F---ing Menard. To this day, on each other's birthday we make sure to share birthday wishes from Paul F. Menard.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know whether this is a purposeful affectation, but the misuse of 'myself' is infuriating. People use it to sound smarter when it doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted